Recommend me a USB switcher

Soldato
I've tried using the search and can't find a thread which quite covers this...

Looking for a USB switcher (so basically a shared input USB hub or a KVM without the V part) - there's tons on offer on whatever site you choose to look on but as usual tons of confusing reviews etc. and many of the switches look like the same handful of rebadged chinese type affairs... Most common problem I keep seeing mentioned is that they can struggle to power e.g. mechanical keyboards that have lighting, or wireless adapters, leading to lots of dropouts and annoying behaviour...

So just looking for a direct recommendation for one that someone on here has actually bought and is using successfully, along with a quick mention of what you have plugged into it - cheers!

Man of Honour
I use an Aten cs22u without connecting the video part. Has worked fine for years, but I have a basic keyboard and mouse (no lights, etc). Some monitors can do it too, but if they disable USB on standby then it's a pain.

Soldato
The one I got was this one. ‎AIMOSKVMQH-CC. I mean it worked great. For months.
I'm switching between laptop (Work) and desktop(Personal).

What seem to happen to me was the keyboard and mouse wouldn't switch some of the time.
I'd hard cycle the power, disconnect it for a while and it eventually it would come back.
Some days it just would work, so I'd disconnect it.

Soldato
OP
Mmm that's what I'm worried about, going to all the effort of wiring everything up all neatly then finding it goes wrong all the time and eventually it was a waste of time/money

There's one made by UGreen who I have had various things from in the past that were okay so contemplating going with that one (but again the reviews are a serious mixed bag!) It has an optional 5V micro usb input which it says you can use to provide extra power to it in the case that your peripherals need it

Soldato
My keyboard and mouse worked on one channel so I assume its not power related.
I used to turn on both computers just to be sure.

Soldato
I've tried using the search and can't find a thread which quite covers this...

Looking for a USB switcher (so basically a shared input USB hub or a KVM without the V part) - there's tons on offer on whatever site you choose to look on but as usual tons of confusing reviews etc. and many of the switches look like the same handful of rebadged chinese type affairs... Most common problem I keep seeing mentioned is that they can struggle to power e.g. mechanical keyboards that have lighting, or wireless adapters, leading to lots of dropouts and annoying behaviour...

So just looking for a direct recommendation for one that someone on here has actually bought and is using successfully, along with a quick mention of what you have plugged into it - cheers!

Ive got a ugreen one , never had any probs with it

Associate
I've tried loads as well, only recently discovered it's the highest powered that are the most reliable.
Forget the 24W and 36W ones and go full on with 90 watt ones if you intend to use external hard drives Etc.
An 8 port 60W Sabrent and a 90W 16 port Sabrent are my choice USB Hub tools. No disconnections even with 3x4 bay DAS units connected.
Maybe don't need all the connections but it's the power input Wattage that makes the difference.
Make sure the power supply is a brick, not a measly plug type.

Soldato
If power is genuinely the issue, it should be as simple as finding a single port USB switcher and feeding that into a powered hub.

You'll most likely end up going through 2 logical hubs this way, but it rules out power supply issues.

Soldato
OP
Went for the Ugreen ones in the end, work fine, no power needed (so far)

Mine has a Corsair mechanical RGB keyboard + Logitech RGB mouse plugged into it... my wife's has a non-mech keyboard, mouse, hyper-x headset and logitech c290 webcam all plugged in and also works fine

Mounted them under the desk so you reach under to press them like a panic button :D keeps the wires from looking a mess on the top of the desk

Cheers for the above replies again :)

Back
Top Bottom