Recommend Me an Android Head Unit for an E46! (Please)

Associate
Hey, guys. I've got the original double-din nav unit at the moment, and I'd like to replace it with something that can run Waze / Google Maps, and Spotify. Ideally, I'd also like to be able to root it and install ViPER4Android so that I can correct the sound system.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Associate
OP
Lots of great info, thanks all. So it's looking like Erisin for close to stock looks, or one of those PX6 units for the best performance.

You should get the 9" PX6 6 core unit. I had the older style fitted before (the 7" screen) but then I upgraded it to the PX5 8 core 9", which was a really good unit. I custom added a cooling fan because the processor did run hot but once I did that it was fantastic. Could easily handle all apps and I used to run waze + spotify on it concurrently with no lag. The PX6 is another step above the PX5. Fewer cores but much higher performance. It is essentially a quad core + a dual core processor. I had mine rooted and had viper running. Here is an example:

https://androidautoshop.com/bmw/386-2757-bmw-e46-3-series-9-touch.html

I did record a quick video playing around with the PX5 unit but I haven't uploaded it anywhere. I will if you are interested in seeing.

The only caveat is that it was a little annoying to install as I had to enlarge the stereo hole a bit in the car. I had to cut away the tabs with the factory screw holes in but all round it was a fantastic unit.

Like mrk says, it would be great to see how this looks fitted if you get the time.

Associate
OP
So, I've decided on the Erisin ES7962B as it appears to have the best spec in their range, and I like how they look similar to the stock nav unit. It's running Android 9.0 with 4GB RAM and 8 x 1.5GHz A35 CPUs. I'd rather have fewer but faster cores like the PX6 ezekial mentioned, but it doesn't look like Erisin do them.

Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom