Recommend PSU.

Soldato
Hi,

I need a good value and hopefully quiet PSU to go with a
Intel Core i7 6700K & GeForce GTX960 4GB setup system. Will run a SDD and 1-2 HDDs. Can you recommend suitable PSUs please?

Soldato
Not really concerned myself with PSUs for some time, but Superflower seem to be the go-to option now. The last I remember it was Corsair.

Associate
The superflower units are very good. The leadex units are modular but have non-dimmable leds in the plugs. The hardwired units are very good as well.

The EVGA G2 Series are re-branded superflower units. The GS Series are Seasonic units. Both series have longer warranties than either the superflower/seasonic branded products.

Corsair still make some good units, but they're less recommended now since they switched OEM to CWT. The RMx/i and HX series are good though and the AX series are still made by Seasonic.

Except for a couple of budget models, Antec use Seasonic or Delta as the OEM. The XFX units are a Seasonic design as well.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys..
Can anyone tell me why cheaper PSU like the KL-600 600W '80 Plus Bronze' is not as good as the ones recommended above?
Thanks again.

Associate
There's two main reasons: efficiency and quality. A Bronze rated PSU is less energy efficient than a Gold rated unit for example. The main difference is in build quality. Generally speaking, the more expensive units such as Superflower/Seasonic etc. use better quality capacitors and components.

The unit you mention is a 600W PSU, but can only output 480W on the 12V rail. The 12V rail is where the most power is needed. Very little runs off the 3.3V and 5V rails in a modern PC (back in the days of the Pentium II & III, the CPU ran off the 5V rail). By comparison, the Superflower HX550W is a 550W PSU that can output 546W on the 12V rail.

Associate
Thanks guys..
Can anyone tell me why cheaper PSU like the KL-600 600W '80 Plus Bronze' is not as good as the ones recommended above?
Thanks again.

Mainly the build quality and lesser components that are more likely to fail if pushed and with some very low quality power supplies they can take the system with it when they explode. If you're tight on budget the Antec HCGM is a good choice as it's modular and has a seasonic board inside https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ante...0w-80-plus-bronze-power-supply-ca-147-an.html

Soldato
OP
thanks guys :)

So would the Antec Truepower Classic 550W and the Superflower HX550W be better than the Seasonic M12II 520W EVO PSU?

Back
Top Bottom