Recommended Benchmark Other than Prime95

Associate
My problem is a simple one. I'm running a 9900kf on a z370 mobo. Z370 only have 1 8 pin cpu connector.

Trying to run Prime95 at 5ghz @1.26v draws to much power through the single 8 pin causing my Seasonic 850w to cut power restarting my system.

Tbh I feel Prime95 was a tad to much on an 8700k let alone 9900k's.

Can anyone suggest a good benchmarking tools?

I currently use Cinebench R20 & Intel Burn test. Are these good enough?

Thank you

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Could breeze it with an AVX offset but as you know that pretty much throttles down your clock speed doing any gaming. Might as well just clock at say 4.8ghz & leave it at that. I'll take Andy's suggestion and just bloody ignore Prime and its over 215w draw and stick with Cinebench & Intel Burn Test from now on.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Soldato
Prime95 is more of a torture test
Than a benchmark
And versions after 26 point something
As far as I remember are even worse
And not recommended because of
Something to do with the avx instructions
I just stress test by running everything I will be doing in every day normal use
And gaming
See no point torturing my 500 quid cpu to within an inch of its life personally

Associate
OP
All good guys thank you. During Cinebench loop I noticed the VRM Mos were getting hot on the Gigabyte Aorus 5 Gaming @86c on hwinfo64 so added a 120mm above them. Dropped down to max of 79c.

Have now run Aida64, Realbench, Cinebench, Intel Burn Test & 2 hours of gaming, all passed with flying colours. Top spike temperature on hottest core during stress tests recorded at 83c. Gaming in the 40- 50c range.

Final result is 9900KF 5ghz @1.27v with a peak spike on hwinfo64 of 1.308v. Vid is tightly controlled as running Dynamic overclock with top spike @1.274v.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Soldato
Realbench is good because it put's load on the GPU at the same time. I stopped using Prime95 years ago. I've also found Cinebench R20 surprisingly good at weeding out instability.

The Z370 will run the 9900kf at stock but overclocking on it will definitely require good VRM cooling. The VRM's run at half the temperature on my Z390 than on my Z370.

Associate
OP
The Z370 will run the 9900kf at stock but overclocking on it will definitely require good VRM cooling. The VRM's run at half the temperature on my Z390 than on my Z370.

I noticed this when hitting 100c on the VRM's. I since installed a 120mm fan blowing onto the VRM's that have dropped the temps down to around 74c under stress tests. Whats frustrating me this that I can pass every dam stress test out there but keep getting that random BSOD when say gaming.

I'm running Adaptive what can be fiddly so its a case of upping by +0.5 every time it happens but refuse to run "stock" as it pules 1.45v whats insane. Had a Google about this & its common it seems. As for now I'm at 4.9Ghz at peek of 1.32v.

Last edited:
Soldato
I understand what you're dealing with.
I'm fully game stable etc at 5.3Ghz with 1.29v (going by the VR OUT in HWInfo64 though 1.305v set in the bios)

This is manual constant voltage and I'm now trying to go with DVID Offset voltage so it drops when the CPU at idle, but it is not so straight forward getting it stable when it's idling and at the same time not going way higher than needed on the voltage when under load.

My advice is that you should save for a Z390 Aorus Master (Pro/Elite/Ultra also have very good VRM's). Your 9900KF will thank you for it. ;)

Associate
OP
This is manual constant voltage and I'm now trying to go with DVID Offset voltage so it drops when the CPU at idle, but it is not so straight forward getting it stable when it's idling and at the same time not going way higher than needed on the voltage when under load.

My advice is that you should save for a Z390 Aorus Master (Pro/Elite/Ultra also have very good VRM's). Your 9900KF will thank you for it. ;)

Try setting IA AC Loadline & IA DC Loadline to 1. For me on Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 its located under Advanced Voltage Settings - Internal VR Control. This gives way tighter control from VID to Vcore. Its actually listed as an Adaptive step from some board manufacturers but most do not mention this. My Adaptive offset is at 0.085 what gives me the peek 1.32v.

Yep, planning on the Z390 upgrade as the 9000KF acts weird as F*&% on the Z370.

Back
Top Bottom