Recommended Fan Controller: 3x 360 rads

Associate
Hi all, can anyone recommend a good fan controller? In a previous very old water loop build I used an aquaero 5 LT. this was 2x240 rads and 1x 360.

This was great in that it gave me fine control over discrete sets of fans per rad, and great fan curve software, and connectivity for temperature sensors and other bits n bobs.

But, it felt slightly messy in that I had to find a spot on the chassis to mount the controller board and had a job trying to get the cable management half tidy.

I am now building a new system with 3x360 rads. So the question is: what’s the state of play in fan controller world these days? what’s the best way to manage fans? Is aquaero 6 the best of the bunch? Or are there better or different options/techniques?

There is now the added complexity of RGB lighting which while totally cosmetic I have to admit I do quite like the concept of. How are the lights best controlled and integrated?

Any advice much appreciated :)

Soldato
Think your best option is a fan controller with an internal USB connection.

9 fans on 1 controller, which is then powered by Sata or Molex and controlled via USB on the motherboard for software control.

Alternatives would be a controller again but connected up to a sensor type panel for fine adjustment. Seen it a done a few times especially panels with touch control.

Soldato
I favour Aquacomputer's OCTO controller.
You get Aquasuite with it, with which I assume you're already familiar, and that runs everything very well.
I have 11 fans set in groups, using splitters to each of the five headers. I also run some RGB stuff off the RGBpx headers, with their adapters for standard 3-pin RGB devices.
Fitting the board is easy, as there are plenty of case holes to bolt or cable tie it to, or even use Velcro™ if you like. It's very small and light.
Mine is on the back of my 5.25" bay cage, but there are dozens of other decent places.

Soldato
Like ttaskmaster said, Aqua computer still makes the best. All use same control software as your aquaro 5 LT but have more PWM channels. Won't solve your cable management or controller placement complaints, but I don't think there are any that will. ;)

Cheapest is QUADRO with 4x PWM channels each rated 25W for £34.99.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aqua-computer-quadro-pwm-fan-controller-wc-338-aq.html

Next is OCTO with 8x PWM channels each rated 25W for £49.99.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aqua-computer-octo-fan-controller-for-pwm-8-fans-wc-33h-aq.html

Both come with 1x temp sensor with 70cm lead and USB cable.

Problem is both are out of stock on OcUK. Maybe drop them a note asking when they will be getting new stock.

Associate
OP
Awesome, thanks for the responses guys. So OCTO basically does what the Aquaero 6 LT does? I want to pick up the water temps at two locations, pick up the flow, control the fan speeds accordingly with curves, and then control the RGB lighting scheme. Which OCTO seems to be able to accomodate. So basically am needing to make a call between more expensive 6LT and the OCTO.

Soldato
Basically, yes, at least in terms of fan management and system monitoring.
Of course, they do other cool stuff, which will tie in with the OCTO and Aquasuite too.

Associate
OP
Thanks a lot guys. Clearly I have a lot to learn in the world of rgb lighting and fan lighting. I get how aquaero works for fan control, obviously from my current system’s aquaero, beautiful piece of kit, but for the next system I want to do with lighting, it seems quite complex for the uninitiated like me….! Am unclear if aquaero has sufficient control for 9 rgb fans though? Am considering lighting 9 fans on 3 rads. Plus a tenth fan for rear case exhaust I guess.

Last edited:
Soldato
Indeed, lighting is it's own world. Might be worth considering independent RGB lighting with lighting strips and/or fan lighing rings like Phanteks Halos or instead of having RGB in fans.

Trying to run 9x rad fans on your aquaero 5 LT might work, but also might now. 8x fans on one PWM control usually works, but 9x or more often does not.

I wouldn't worry about 10th fan for exhaust. Obviously you need to have at least as much exhaust vent area as you have intake vent area with or without having both intake and exhaust fans. I rarely use exhaust fans. Just make sure case has as much or more exhaust vent are than intake vents with fans. It's basic law of physics. What flows into case must also flow out .. equal and opposite effect.

What case and radiator / fan layout are you planning to run?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers @doyll , I have a lian li o11d XL. Regarding layout, thinking a 360 rad 60mm at bottom in push / pull, 360 vertical/side rad 45mm in pull, and a top 360 45mm in push. Cooling fans and thinking Varder xm3 120 all around.

Interesting you say about more exhaust than intake. I had read that more intake is better? Personally don’t have the experience to compare the options, only built one system previously, two rads on intake, one on exhaust.

Soldato
Thanks a lot guys. Clearly I have a lot to learn in the world of rgb lighting and fan lighting. I get how aquaero works for fan control, obviously from my current system’s aquaero, beautiful piece of kit, but for the next system I want to do with lighting, it seems quite complex for the uninitiated like me….! Am unclear if aquaero has sufficient control for 9 rgb fans though? Am considering lighting 9 fans on 3 rads. Plus a tenth fan for rear case exhaust I guess.
Honestly with RGB control, i try to buy fans that

A: Are interlockable like the lian li SL120 AL120 fans in which you're cabling goes from spaghetti to just 2 cables for all.
B: comes with its own controller with either motherboard or usb support making controlling them super easy.

Just gotta make sure whatever you go for plays nicely with your motherboard and its not glitchy software.

I would look into this as well OpenRGB

Saves having multiple bloatware to control rgb unless you decide to stick with aquaero and its RGB functionality.

Soldato
Cheers @doyll , I have a lian li o11d XL. Regarding layout, thinking a 360 rad 60mm at bottom in push / pull, 360 vertical/side rad 45mm in pull, and a top 360 45mm in push. Cooling fans and thinking Varder xm3 120 all around.

Interesting you say about more exhaust than intake. I had read that more intake is better? Personally don’t have the experience to compare the options, only built one system previously, two rads on intake, one on exhaust.
Maybe re-read what I posted. I was talking about exhaust vent area versus intake vents w/ fans. Not the same as more exhaust fans than intake fans. ;)

What Jay85 said.
Beware! There are many different RGB / ARGB lighting types and control systems .. and most do not play well with others. Sometimes they won't even play well alone.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ah, sorry - I didn't understand. Appreciate it was about area and not fans, but I thought you implied it's good to have more exhaust area, than intake area with fans.

"Just make sure case has as much or more exhaust vent are(a) than intake vents with fans"

I presume you mean the intake fans will push the air out anyway though the non-fanned exhausts, as they're pressurising the case? Interesting concept. If I understood correctly..? Sorry if I'm being thick! :)

I had understood it was better to have more intake than exhaust (both with fans), so as to pressurise the case.

Associate
OP
Quick question on the Octo. Does the aquasuite software need to be running in the OS before the fans are controlled? Or does it perform some sort of onboard control?

I know the aquaero has a microcontroller on it which means it can run independently of the aquasuite software (or any software) which is useful. (My current system has an aquaero but I haven’t got the aquasuite software installed at all since I relatively recently put on a fresh OS install. At startup it just runs the profiles I once set a while ago on a different OS… it just ‘works’!)

Other than that sort of ‘robust’ software independent functionality, I can’t see why I’d need an aquaero over an octo, assuming octo also has this functionality.

Basically, I only need to control banks of fans via pwm and linked to water temp sensors. (Three 360 radiators, two in push pull)

Last edited:
Associate
Quick question on the Octo. Does the aquasuite software need to be running in the OS before the fans are controlled? Or does it perform some sort of onboard control?
Program needs to be running in the background otherwise fans will spin at full speed.. this is especially the case when new firmware is released for the product and the suite won't allow you to control the fans until you have updated the software.

Other than that sort of ‘robust’ software independent functionality, I can’t see why I’d need an aquaero over an octo, assuming octo also has this functionality.
Been a while since i had an Aquaero (10 years ago maybe), so not sure how much has changed. If the AQ can control more than 9 fans, then i'm sure the Octo isn't needed. I'd probably say the Octo/Quadro are extensions of the Aquaero

Associate
OP
Ok thanks @im4gine3. On the basis Octo doesn't have onboard microprocessor control type of feature, that might tip me to an aquarero 6 LT. 4 PWM channels should be good to segregate to 3 rads plus a potential rear fan. Only thing I'll need to verify is the number of fans being powered, it'll be something like 15 overall in 6, 6, 3, for three 360 rads, two on push / pull.

Associate
Looking on the specs of an Aquaero 6:

Four fan outputs with up to 30 Watt of power per channel
Expandable to a maximum of 12 fan channels

Maximum current is 2.5 A per output independent of output voltage, resulting in a maximum power of 30 W at 12 V

so i'd get a Splitty9 or a quadro to go with it if it's not enough

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom