Recommended memory for PC building in 2024?

Associate
The standard of a few years ago was 16gb and thats what my current rig still does. However that number feels like more of a minimum spec if you are to build a new mid/high end PC in 2023/2024.

The speed of ram also matters due to modern chips taking advantage of DDR5 speeds.

All that being said, if I was to build a new PC in the next year or so that I plan on keeping for a good few years, what sort of RAM specs should I be aiming for?
32GB with DDR5 (4800mhz+) seems the sweet spot for RAM, but just curious to see if we I possibly may need more RAM or potentially faster

Soldato
I'd say the minimum unless on a very tight budget should be 32gb, I frequently use more than 16gb while gaming and that's only going to become more common.

As for memory speeds, that depends on the CPU, the AMD X3D variants don't particularly care about memory speed. That said, a decent set of 5600-6000mhz RAM can be had for very cheap so I wouldn't bother penny pinching and getting anything slower.

Man of Honour
The standard of a few years ago was 16gb and thats what my current rig still does. However that number feels like more of a minimum spec if you are to build a new mid/high end PC in 2023/2024.
- 16GB is budget build only (e.g. less than £500).
- 32GB is the standard.
- 64GB if you are building high-end gaming (e.g. £1500+), or use workstation apps. The extra money is better spent on other things with lower budgets (e.g. CPU, GPU).

(4800mhz+)
I'd get a minimum of 5600 C36, but low latency 6000+ is pretty cheap, so you don't save much (£10-£20).

Associate
OP
I'd say the minimum unless on a very tight budget should be 32gb, I frequently use more than 16gb while gaming and that's only going to become more common.

As for memory speeds, that depends on the CPU, the AMD X3D variants don't particularly care about memory speed. That said, a decent set of 5600-6000mhz RAM can be had for very cheap so I wouldn't bother penny pinching and getting anything slower.
thank you, this was insightful

Associate
OP
- 16GB is budget build only (e.g. less than £500).
- 32GB is the standard.
- 64GB if you are building high-end gaming (e.g. £1500+), or use workstation apps. The extra money is better spent on other things with lower budgets (e.g. CPU, GPU).

I'd get a minimum of 5600 C36, but low latency 6000+ is pretty cheap, so you don't save much (£10-£20).
64gb it is then! I mess around with a couple VM's here and there so I think the more the better. Once i decide on the final build ill do some more research into what sticks go best with the processor I need

Man of Honour
When do we think 64GB will be required for games?
At least 2030+ before it starts to really matter, unless they start doing something that munches RAM in a big way (maybe AI related).

32GB is only just becoming the new standard with the release of DDR5, but the majority of games still run fine with 16GB.

Man of Honour
but you would think that ram prices will generally go down over time (at least capacity wise)
32GB of DDR4 is reasonable (though a fair chunk more expensive than after the oversupply). If you're willing to buy boring old stock RAM, then 64GB DDR5 is available for ~£160, which I don't think is too bad relative to the other costs of the PC.

Associate
OP
32GB of DDR4 is reasonable (though a fair chunk more expensive than after the oversupply). If you're willing to buy boring old stock RAM, then 64GB DDR5 is available for ~£160, which I don't think is too bad relative to the other costs of the PC.
tbh you're right thats not too bad

quite a few factors that go into ram pricing these days, as with most pc parts

Back
Top Bottom