Recommended Mini-ITX/SFX Case

Associate
Hello,

I was thinking about a build I want to do later this year and I was originally considering going for a normal ATX case, but it occurred to me I might be interested in going for a small form factor case. I've never done one before and I'm curious to try one. Problem is, I haven't got a clue what makes a good ITX case. Could anyone recommend me one? I value performance over aesthetics if that helps.

Thanks!

Soldato
The above choice is good but when you compare it to compact ATX in terms of footprint there isn't much in it, it will take a similar amount of room as a compact mid tower will with less air flow

I've been going around in circles looking at ITX cases and I think I'm just going to stick with my Meshify C

Associate
Lian Li TU150 (W x H x D) 210mm x 312mm x 375mm ITX

Corsair ICUE 220T (W x H x D) 210mm x 450mm x 380mm ATX

Silverstone FARA R1 MID-TOWER CASE (W x H x D) 207mm x 446mm x 390mm ATX

Fractal Design Meshify C (W x H x D) 217mm x 440mm x 395 mm ATX

Associate
"Good ITX" really depends on what you are looking for. Smallest case that can cram a full sized GPU? A case with a good compromise between cooling and size?

So it really depends on how much you want to spend and what features you want in a SFF case. Whilst the above case is a nice ITX case, it actually doesn't fall into the category of Small Form Factor case (under 20 litres).

First thing I would do is have a look at Optimum Tech youtube channel. He does many reviews for SFF cases so have a look to see if there are any case designs that you like the look of.
He actually has done a round up of the best SFF cases he has reviewed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo8T81nuLFM

Here is a nice spreadsheet of almost all SFF cases "available" in volume order. It also contains many specs and sizes for things like CPU coolers, RAM heights, ITX GPUs, etc
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AddRvGWJ_f4B6UC7_IftDiVudVc8CJ8sxLUqlxVsCz4/edit#gid=0

I would also have a look at SFFPC reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/ for inspiration.

TLDR:
NZXT H1 - includes PSU and AIO, easy to build in.
Silverstone SG13 - best budget.
Louqe Ghost S1 - sandwich style and good finish.
Sliger SM580 - Solid and flexible.
Ncase M1 - Benchmark for cooling.
Velkase Velka 3 - Smallest case with GPU.
Skyreach 4 Mini - Smallest case with GPU, difficult PSU options.
Sidearm T1 - Excellent quality but in pre production.
Dan A4-SFX - Second smallest sandwich style case for SFX PSU and full sized GPU, often comes into stock and available from OCUK.

I was looking for a portable SFFPC that could fit in my backpack so I ended up going for a Velka 5 which is only 5.7 litres, (on a desk its about 2 bottles of Coke side by side).

hMCbIsg.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses.

In terms of components I will probably be looking at either the i9-10900k or equivalent Zen 3 AMD CPU, and a 3080TI or whatever they're called when they release.

Associate
I'll throw the fractal define nano s into the mix, though it's not really a small itx case. It does however get a lot of airflow through it, and a really high end cpu/gpu will make a fair amount of heat

Associate
I've been looking for a case for a potential future 3080ti, too. A few people on Reddit pointed me towards the Sliger SM580. A bit pricy, but recommended if you want the coolest / quietest running high power card.

Soldato
High-end parts will need high-end cooling.

I'd suggest looking at the following:
  • FormD T1
  • Dancase C4-SFX
  • Ncase M1
  • Sliger SM580
  • Streacom DA2
The T1 is the smallest of this lot. But you'll need a specific AIO (or a small custom loop) to cool the CPU due to the tight space for radiators. The SM580 will also need an AIO or custom loop, but with no limits on radiator choice. The C4, M1 and DA2 all offer both air and water cooling solutions.

The M1, SM580 and (when it's released) T1 need to be imported. The DA2 can be bought on OCUK. The C4 should launch on OCUK (hopefully) later this year.

Personally, I'd go with the M1 if the PC is just going to be sat at a desk. If you're taking it travelling, then the T1's smaller size will be a boon. If you don't want to import, then the DA2 is a good alternative to the M1, though the C4 may be better (if it releases this year).

A note on a couple of omissions. The Ghost S1 can handle high-end CPUs if you use a 240mm AIO via a "top hat" expansion. But there's limited GPU clearance, which may severely reduce 3080 Ti choice. The NZXT H1... I'm not sure what the limits of that 140mm AIO are. Can it handle a 10900k? Also, a vented from panel may be needed if GPU temps are bad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom