Red Tape Around .au Domains

Soldato
Hi All,

I'm attempting to purchase a .com.au domain to help create an online presence within Australia for my company; issue is, without being a registered company within Australia then it seems to be simply a no-go in terms of registering an .au domain as an 'outsider'.

Registering as an Aussie company looks fairly straight forward and from having a Google it appears to be the usual/standard method for outsiders. And while i've read of a few people having zero issues once registering, it does however look to be a bit of a grey area in terms of the company being active and trading and the issue of tax and the usual paperwork that comes with having a company. So considering we wouldn't actually be trading within Australia, it seems like it could end up being a massive hassle or worse case the domain could end up being returned/removed.

Now i'm lucky enough to know someone that owns a company that operates in the same industry within Australia, so my current thought is (if their willing) for them to purchase the domain.
However the auDA (i believe that's the registry) guidelines clearly state -
2. Domain names in the com.au 2LD must be:

a) an exact match, abbreviation or acronym of the registrant’s name or trademark; or

b) otherwise closely and substantially connected to the registrant, in accordance with the categories of “close and substantial connection” set out in the Guidelines on the Interpretation of Policy Rules for the Open 2LDs.
Obviously the domain i'm wanting isn't directly connected to this third-party, so it looks like it'd fall to section 'b' and the use of 'closely and substantially connected'.

So the question (finally :p) is, has anyone had experience of purchasing .au domains as an outsider? And would it likely pass 'inspection' if a third-party purchased the domain?

Much appreciated for any help :)

Back
Top Bottom