Reddit is dying

I hadn't really thought about it that way but I guess you're right: Opinions get upvoted, so by default they get presented at the top, and readers are also subconsciously told "this is a good opinion" by the little upvote counter, so it sort of indoctrinates them into that way of thinking (or fear of reprisal for offering differing views).

I hadn't really thought about it that way but I guess you're right: Opinions get upvoted, so by default they get presented at the top, and readers are also subconsciously told "this is a good opinion" by the little upvote counter, so it sort of indoctrinates them into that way of thinking (or fear of reprisal for offering differing views).

It's also infested with bots, some of which have the sole purpose of downvoting or upvoting comments based on keywords, etc.

It's still a great place to find very specific advice on certain topics, but I would never post there.

Last edited:

Oh its massively group think. A popular comment that is objectively wrong will continue to get upvotes simply because its the top comment and there are millions of idiots about who love to give their opinions.

I'm feeling like it may be best to step away from it, which is a real shame because it has high traffic and a lot of interesting topics, sufficient weight of numbers around niche topics you are interested in, etc. Not great for 'mental health' though, which as I say is a bit bizarre, I've managed to survive on forums for over 25 years without this sort of feeling, and Reddit is a mainstream place not some shady corner like 4chan or the old Something Awful or whatever.
Best way if its getting under your skin walk away at least until you can get some perspective. I'm currently on self imposed exile myself atm

I use to love it there. I don't go there any more.
"We don't go to Ravenholm" Reddit

Last edited:
OK to build on my post from a couple of months ago about my experience as a relative newcomer to Reddit, this is bizarre.

I've been posting on online forums since the 90s, and probably wasted too much time on some of them (...), but I've never got particularly wound up. Yet Reddit for whatever reason has me seething like a stereotypical keyboard warrior meme, due to the sort of responses you get on there. You write something and then people try and twist it to imply you hold a particular opinion rather than judging it purely on face value as written. A throwaway comment can be pounced upon and logic doesn't seem to apply there. The echo chamber ramps up and the wolf pack circles looking to pile in when they have safety in numbers. Some people seem more interested in attacking the character/person than actually debating the topic at hand. The odd white knight recognises the stupidity of it all and steps in to back up the 'victim' and is drowned out. It feels like the sort of place you have to 'have your guard up' at all times, if you show weakness by acknowledging counter-points it gets pounced on. Probably the closest I felt to that that here was a few years ago when I delved in Speakers Corner for a bit.

Thankfully I take the voting with a pinch of salt as I've had hundreds of upvotes for throwaway comments and then loads of downvotes for detailed reasoned arguments, plus i've even seen two posters write essentially the same post in the same thread with one getting upvoted and the other downvoted. No logic to it. I'd turn off the the display of votes if I could. Would actually make a interesting use case for AI though, make bot accounts that experiment and are then tuned to try and garner the most upvotes, get a synopsis of the model and see what the biggest influencing factors are.

I'm feeling like it may be best to step away from it, which is a real shame because it has high traffic and a lot of interesting topics, sufficient weight of numbers around niche topics you are interested in, etc. Not great for 'mental health' though, which as I say is a bit bizarre, I've managed to survive on forums for over 25 years without this sort of feeling, and Reddit is a mainstream place not some shady corner like 4chan or the old Something Awful or whatever.
That's just how reddit is. I've been on there since 2009 and my account has well over 300k karma yet even if I post something fairly standard and relevant for a sub, let's say gaming, then you will see a whole bunch of neckbeards run in waving forks some just a simple comment or something else taking things beyond context. And then you get some smartarse that coems along and says "you're getting downvoted" or words along those lines like as if downvotes mean something.

I just tell it like it is though and don't cave, if a small mob wants to downvote something just because they don't like it then it doesn't bother me, my account didn't get to where it is by caving into the mod wagons across various subs.

Was doing a bit of research on car auctions and "Reddit" appeared in the top few results, thought of this thread on OCUK and decided to take a look... sure enough the first result is just... WTF. Some guy seemingly agrees to sell his car to the dealer but hasn't signed paperwork yet so ackchually it doesn't technically belong to dealer (yet), dealer has listed it for sale... at a profit... as if that's a huge issue if you're literally just about to sell it to them. Reddit of course angry at use of photos without consent, dealer listing something he doesn't yet have etc..

Was doing a bit of research on car auctions and "Reddit" appeared in the top few results, thought of this thread on OCUK and decided to take a look... sure enough the first result is just... WTF. Some guy seemingly agrees to sell his car to the dealer but hasn't signed paperwork yet so ackchually it doesn't technically belong to dealer (yet), dealer has listed it for sale... at a profit... as if that's a huge issue if you're literally just about to sell it to them. Reddit of course angry at use of photos without consent, dealer listing something he doesn't yet have etc..

My favouite place is LegalAdviceUK, so many people on there who have absolutely no clue of the law and definitely should not be giving any advice.

I liked the new but now old reddit, old.reddit has the issue in that there's no dark mode and that's a major issue?

It seems to with the RES extension I mentioned:

FsLm9mZ.png

Back
Top Bottom