Refinishing this garden table

Soldato
Morning,

After some advice. I bought this teak garden table yesterday.

k0xEqZH.jpg

Looks good from a distance. It's solid teak. When I got it home I noticed a few issues with the finish.

PI4qypH.jpg

tUOcXad.jpg

1GGTnZq.jpg

There's a few spots like this. I think they've sanded through the Bri-wax they've used (which I had never heard of until yesterday).

So my question is, what are my options? I'm thinking of a couple:

• Try and refinish these sections with Bri-wax
  • Remove the Bri-wax all over (white spirit) and then refinish it with oil (which I prefer to the wax)
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

dirtychinchilla

Soldato
OP
Scrape off the briwax with a scraper then use something like nitromors or similar
Actually it does not look TOO bad so you could just clean up that one `plank`and reapply briwax

Do you think it will just scrape off? It looks like years of buildup to me.

It's pretty stark when you're at the table, looks really terrible. They've gone probably 0.5 mm in and the colour of the wood is completely different. I think, in general, they've put too much wax on it as the centre section (not picture) has a much nicer finish. It obviously hasn't been touched so much.

Soldato
OP
I would try scrape then sand or strip on a section not too visible first,maybe underneath to see how it goes/looks

Weirdly (to me), it looks like they've only been doing the top. The bottom is sort of raw. I'll have to look at it closer after work to see what's realistic as far as stripping it back is concerned.

I really prefer oil, though, so a big part of me wants to strip the whole thing. I just know how much work that can be. I suppose, if I'm going to scrape the finish off these areas anyway, I could try diluting it with white spirit and see if that's easy before deciding whether to do everything.

Soldato

might be worth a look :)

Soldato
OP

might be worth a look :)

Cheers for those. I had read the first one already, which is what made me think stripping and oiling the table might be OK. They make it sound very, very easy!

Soldato
OP
So it turns out the guy has used decking stain and protection on the table, not anything suitable. And then kept it inside when the weather was bad. Not sure I understand the logic personally!

That might ruin my plan.

Soldato
So it turns out the guy has used decking stain and protection on the table, not anything suitable. And then kept it inside when the weather was bad. Not sure I understand the logic personally!

That might ruin my plan.

I'd at least sand it and try teak oil, decking stain often sands quite uniformly, you'd need to check.

I do like the mesh style sandpapers for this kind of job where you don't want it endlessly clogging.. I normally use "Erbauer 180 grit Extra fine Metal, paint, plaster & wood Hand sanding sheet, Pack of 5" from B&Q.. that and a Makita hand sander and I did 7 interior doors in 2 days back to wood before priming/painting again.

Soldato
OP
I've started sanding it so I'm now committed. I much prefer oiled wood to stained, so I'll sand back the whole thing and oil it. I don't understand why this guy put decking stain on it. The texture of the wood is horrible.

Back
Top Bottom