Refresh rate going to matter to me?

Seirrah

S

Seirrah

Hi all

I'm currently trying to 'wise-up' about tft screens, and hopefully make a good purchase.

I'm tempted by the 20inch Belinea, but I'm always wondering if the monitors over the horizon are going to put it to shame.

My question was regarding refresh rates. A lot is said about them, and the resulting ghosting effect.

I've had a Dell 15inch TFT for the last few years , stats here http://www.actimbg.com/products/DELL_1504FP.htm . As you can see it has an average refresh rate of 25ms. Now I've been using this screen for many applications, including gaming, for some time, and I've never had a problem with ghosting. Is it likely I'm just used to it and my brain assumes it is inherent with this kinda screen?
In the couple of weeks I've been looking for it more, and I would say that text can get blurry when I scroll down a page fast(ish). And I can make text appear at two places at once, albeit for a very very short duration. Is this ghosting ? ..and more importantly is this what a fast (8ms?) screen be without?

Bit of a wishy washy question, but it's good to talk :p

Man of Honour
it's the response time of the panel which is important here rather than the refresh rate, but that sounds like what you meant anyway. If you are finding an older generation 25ms panel ok for gaming then chances are you will be perfectly fine with any of the modern screens. Some people are just not as susceptable to ghosting and blurring as others, and it also depends on the game style and type you plat. The text anomaly you explain is due to the response rate and yes, duplicate images like that are referred to commonly as ghosting. However, scolling text like that can often result in this, but much less so on modern fast panels. If you find your current screen ok for gaming, i dont think you'll have any problems with the newer models :)

Seirrah

S

Seirrah

OP
Whoops, yeh I meant 'response time'.

Maybe I'll start thinking about a slightly slower screen if there is a benefit in picture quality. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom