Refreshed iMacs inbound

Soldato
Other than the ugly LG Ultrafine 5K, are there any decent alternatives to an iMac 5K screen? Don’t think ultra-wides are my thing.

I doubt anyone could tell the difference between 4K and 5k at 27” without pixel peeping either way.

For the amount of money you’d have to spend to get an equivalent LCD and the change you’d have from not getting an iMac, you could spend £1400 on a 48” LG CX OLED.

Most high end LCDs are just overpriced and I’d take the OLED any day if I was needing to spend that sort of money.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I doubt anyone could tell the difference between 4K and 5k at 27” without pixel peeping either way.

For the amount of money you’d have to spend to get an equivalent LCD and the change you’d have from not getting an iMac, you could spend £1400 on a 48” LG CX OLED.

Most high end LCDs are just overpriced and I’d take the OLED any day if I was needing to spend that sort of money.

People wanting the 5K LG aren't the same people who want a 48" 4K OLED.

There is a big difference between 4k and 5k on a 27", especially when editing 4k videos or high resolution photos. The particular screen from LG/Apple is also very good as far as screens go, 500 nits, very good colour calibration and OS integration etc.

I've tried them all, the 5K iMac screen is stunning.

Soldato

4k and 5K on 27” are massively different. Literally worlds apart. We have both of them at work.

A finely calibrated, dE under 1, 5K 27” display is nothing like a 4K 48” screen. These two are just not meant for the same audience.

Soldato
OP
There won’t be another Intel-based iMac Pro.

Agreed, and it's a shame tbh. I've a couple of them, and they're the best bits of computer kit I've bought in years. I'll struggle going back to 2 TB3 ports for a start. 1 for the hub & second screen, 2nd for the 3rd screen, and that's it.

Soldato
Agreed, and it's a shame tbh. I've a couple of them, and they're the best bits of computer kit I've bought in years. I'll struggle going back to 2 TB3 ports for a start. 1 for the hub & second screen, 2nd for the 3rd screen, and that's it.

Yeah 2 thunderbolts on iMac is rather low especially since even MBPs have 4. I hope Apple Silicon based iMac Pros (probably 2021 or 2022?) will be great.

Soldato
Once my 8 core iMP is out of AppleCare I think I may attempt a processor swap on it. How hard can it be :D

It's not difficult at all. You just need to make sure you have good quality adhesive strips otherwise the screen might just fall off within a few months.

Soldato
They have eventually upgraded the Webcam on the 27" Model to 1080p, I didn't think that I would live to see the day haha. I wanted a redesign for purely aesthetic reasons, I love the look of some of the conceptual designs people have done and posted over on /r/apple - but I am sure they're not going down that path due to actual engineering reasons which I don't have a clue about.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Gone with the mid spec iMac. My reasoning:

1) I don't think we will see an Apple silicon larger iMac for quite sometime. 24" is too small. The 27" 5K is stunning.
2) I'm not sure I want to jump on board the Apple silicon hardware from day 1, it would be a better experience in 3 years time.
3) I could take advantage of student discount for just 1 more year. I managed to get the mid spec 27" iMac for £1,591.20 with 4 year warranty, which I think is pretty strong value.

Back
Top Bottom