Register for warranty?

Soldato
I bought something today, out of the instruction manual fell out a bit of card insert, saying to register for warranty, give them your details etc, said you had to do this within 30 days of purchase.

It's not the the first time I have seen something like this, but I have never bothered before, nor (admittedly, relatively few times) has this ever been an issue when I've tried to claim under a product warranty.

So is this a thing, can a company refuse your warranty claim for not registering your product? Has anyone had a warranty claim refused due to this?

Commissario
IIRC it's for anything above the base legally required things.

So they can't void the warranty/fit for purpose contract you have with the retailer, but they might decide that they won't deal with you direct or in year two onwards.

I've not heard of it being an issue in the UK (it strikes me as something that would be far more important in the US where consumer protection is often far worse), but I tend to register such things just in case.

Caporegime
only a matter of time until they try to force you to install an app to activate warranties so they can harvest info from your phone to resell

Soldato
Don't forget your statuary rights.
An item must be
Fit for purpose.
Of reasonable quality
Last for a reasonable amount of time.

This depends on the item, i would expect for an example a £2000 tv to last for a lot longer than a £300 tv and the law provides for this.
Warranties are good, but the retailer cannot ignore the law, even if its out of warranty you can still be covered by the consumer rights act 2015.
And your contract is with the retailer (whoever you paid the money to) and not the manufacturer (usually)

Associate
If I recall LG had me register for the 5 year warranty to be valid.

I made the assumption that had I not registered they’d have just honoured 12 months.

I appreciate that there are consumer rights that offer more protection but it’s certainly far more hassle to get any claims dealt with.

Thinking about it now, my seasonic power supply came with 12 year warranty but I never registered it. I’m wondering whether that means I don’t actually have it?!

Back
Top Bottom