Registering domain, e-mail address and other woes

Soldato
Hey

Firstly, my bad if this is not the right subforum, I scrolled through 4 times and this is the best I could find, yet I feel it doesn't fit..

I cannot apologise enough for the following post. Its pretty much an unfiltered dump directly from my brain and would probably be better split over a few posts, but here we are.

I'm about to launch what I guess could be called a "hobby business". The product is in my hand, and the packaging is 90% done.

Total investment is very low. In my mind, if I can make a few quid a week I'll call it a success, along with the knowledge I have gained for any future projects.

I'll be doing the ebay / amazon thing initially, and honestly, this product is suited to that so will probably go no further (though I already have product range 2 in my head)

The problem...

I'm about to sign up for an email, and *[email protected] is taken, and any kind of variation such as my.brand@gmail or anything that doesn't look stupid is taken. I could get [email protected], but I feel like I've never seen a business use @live where I've seen a few @gmails. I guess, honestly, its only really the PayPal address and no one will care?

However... mybrand.com is available, and even if I have no plans to use it soon, I guess I would be a fool not to secure that right?

The question...

Should I take [email protected] or [email protected] and just secure the mybrand.com domain at lowest cost, or...

...Should I just take the mybrand.com and have a [email protected]? As I said, this has been a low cost endeavor thus far, so blowing money per month on a vanity e-mail address doesn't seam like the way to go to me...

Does anyone have a recommendation for the cheapest way to sit on a domain and not use it, or the cheapest way to register a domain and make use of it via e-mail?

In case its not clear, I know literally nothing about domain names or how e-mail works.
Any advise would be very, very much appreciated...

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Thanks for your replies.

It would appear it can all be done cheaper than I had thought. I did some research a few months back, and I think I was misremembering the yearly costs as monthly lol.

I'll almost certainly be using @mybrand.com

As for plans for a website. I have no plans to use it any time soon, if at all. Maybe a landing page at most. It will feel great to have the .com in the bag just incase things go in a different direction though.

On to the research!

Back
Top Bottom