Registry Cleaner - No Trial?

Associate
Can anyone recommend a good reg cleaner with no trial? I've been looking at a few and just wanted one which you don't have to pay for and that will let you view what the program wants to clean before it does anything.

p.s have been looking at macecraft 2006 it came out on 31st march but its still quite buggy from what i've read.

Ty

Associate
OP
Jimi said:
Crap Cleaner without a doubt. Cleans your registry and all the other crap like temporary files and cookies. You can save cookies aswell, handy if you need to use a password to access a site.

I have used this but it's left quite a few bits and bobs around. I looked in local machine and theres quite a lot of folders of old programs still inside. At the moment i'm just looking to clean all the entries and folders that Counter-Strike : Source left behind and then reinstall it. Not quite sure how many things it's left behind though. Theres 8 Steam entries and a few Valve folders but i don't know what else there is.

Soldato
Only problem I've faced with any of these registry cleaners was that RegCleaner cleaned out my Office 2003 settings and wanted me to insert the CD again so just watch what you're removing. :)

Edit: Meant RegSeeker. :o

Last edited:
Associate
Jive-Zombie said:
I have used this but it's left quite a few bits and bobs around. I looked in local machine and theres quite a lot of folders of old programs still inside. At the moment i'm just looking to clean all the entries and folders that Counter-Strike : Source left behind and then reinstall it. Not quite sure how many things it's left behind though. Theres 8 Steam entries and a few Valve folders but i don't know what else there is.

Goto Options then settings and set Secure Deletion to three or seven passes, obviously seven passes is going to be a lot slower.

Associate
OP
Kainz said:
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
Regseeker - The best I've ever come across.

Had a little look last night and it looks like that prog's about 3 years old, i thought i'd try the jv16 trial but it didn't find much.

I was thinking of doing it manually but i don't know what sort of stuff to look for. I was looking through counter strike entries and found steam, valve and source entries. There's probably loads of others entries for that and other programs i previously uninstalled and i haven't a clue how to find and get rid of them.

I also found 107 entries for my old printer and 2 programs are still being used which run on startup even though i uninstalled the printer.

Associate
Jive-Zombie said:
Had a little look last night and it looks like that prog's about 3 years old,...

The latest version isn't a year old yet Jive-Zombie; v1.45beta was released in May of last year.

I've been using this s/w for sometime now and it's never caused me any problems.

Soldato
Jive-Zombie said:
Had a little look last night and it looks like that prog's about 3 years old, i thought i'd try the jv16 trial but it didn't find much.
As stated, the last build was just last year. Jv16's PowerTools that has a reg cleaner isn't as good as RegSeeker and I've been using both tools for years. If you do a search for RegSeeker on these very forums, you'll see that it's a well used and respected app.

I still manually trawl through the registry though to remove entries that cleaners may miss.

Soldato
So if I search for un-needed entries in regseeker and clear out them all should I be ok?

Worth noting that regseeker will make backups of everything you delete too.

Associate
OP
Kainz said:
As stated, the last build was just last year. Jv16's PowerTools that has a reg cleaner isn't as good as RegSeeker and I've been using both tools for years. If you do a search for RegSeeker on these very forums, you'll see that it's a well used and respected app.

I still manually trawl through the registry though to remove entries that cleaners may miss.

I have just downloaded it now and it's the best i've used sofar ty. I removed all but 22 entries from my old printer but they keep coming back. I've read it's something to do with permissions but i didn't want to change the settings incase i messed something up. Can you tell me how it's done?

Also when i manually go through registry i keep finding items related to programs i uninstalled from the pc in folders which are like nickname's of the programs name and it doesn't seem to find them.

Back
Top Bottom