Reinstallation Order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Ive just wiped my parents PC because they had so much junk and it took about 3 years to load.

There was a guide on these forums somewhere that told you the best order in which to install stuff and update windows etc.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Thx

Soldato
I don't think theres a correct order, the graphics card will require directx prior to installation of the drivers but apart from that it doesn't matter?

I'd go with:

- Service packs/Win update
- Directx
- Motherboard drivers, GART, IDE, NIC, sound etc
- Graphics card drivers
- Monitor driver

Last edited:
Associate
I usually install the graphics drivers ( the CD for which often has a DX version that they work with ) pretty much first. Working in 640x480 is a pain especially if I need to go onto net.

Soldato
Covered in the Windows stickies:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17180569
A Fresh Install

Ok, you’ve F-disked your HD, set up your partitions and you’re installing Windows, here’s the most common install order people use (inc me) on the forums:
1. Install Windows
2. Any Service Pack from Windows
3. Motherboard / Chipset drivers
4. Direct X update
5. Graphics Card drivers
6. Other Hardware drivers inc. sound, modem, LAN (etc)
7. Critical Updates from Windows Update

8. Install all your other programs and update them / set them up as you go
8. Full Defrag

If you have Antivirus and/or firewall software it is worth installing them early on, perhaps before you go online to get MS Critical updates. Do a Antivirus update early on too, to make sure u are fully protected.

Perhaps throw in a defrag for good measures after stage 4 just to get things running nicely from the beginning, but it’s debatable whether it will make much difference, certainly doesn’t hurt though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom