Relatively new build - No post

Soldato
Just watched a couple of videos about mounting contact frames.

Apparantly tightening the screws to much can cause problems with RAM stability and failiure to boot.

Maybe worth undoing the screws a bit to see if it makes a difference, or completly starting again.

Associate
OP
Found this incase its a cmos issue.

Turn the computer off. Press and hold the power button. The computer will turn on. Keep holding and after about 5 seconds, the computer will turn off again. Power the computer back up.

At this point it should run some type of check and determine the CMOS is corrupt. It will not post and will instead ask if you want to reload a stable BIOS into CMOS. You do, and then you should be up and running.

Dunno if it will do owt tho tbh. But thought id post somit to try.
Only just seen this. Tried it, same beeps.

Also you mentioned earlier about the 2 sticks of RAM, I had done that with no joy. So I swapped the ram out to the other 2 sticks and took a pic. I’ve also added on top an unsecured cooler with a blob of thermal paste lol fan is also plugged in

Associate
OP
Just watched a couple of videos about mounting contact frames.

Apparantly tightening the screws to much can cause problems with RAM stability and failiure to boot.

Maybe worth undoing the screws a bit to see if it makes a difference, or completly starting again.
Thanks. I have seen those videos. I have done the screws until I get resistance, which is just finger tight if that makes sense? I don’t think that’s the issue but I really appreciate you thinking about this for me

Associate
OP
You still never said what u tried with ram, the pic showed 1 slot filled and then i said try a 2nd stick in slot 4, so 2 and 4 are populated, then if that didnt work try the other two sticks in the same slots. To rule out ram issue.

Yes what a kafullfull :D

Least if it was ram it has lifetime warranty usually. So can always get it changed for free if it ever defects.

I just kinda wish u didnt put the contact plate on the new mb to rule that out as a cause somehow. But ah well. First rule, build basic then test if u can get to bios ok, then finish adding stuff, test again bios, then finally finish up the cabling and install windows or whatever and enjoy.
Me too but at the time I was convinced the Mobo had just given up so thought the swap would fix it. Hindsight and all that

Soldato
Sorry if i sounded a bit off there, didnt mean to. Just got the flu for what its worth and not having the best week.

When u put the hsf on in last pic, did u take the cpu frame thingy off and try the old one, since u got new mb it should have the parts still, bit of a fuss but id be interested to see if it worked without that frame thingy on tbh to rule that 100% out its not the frames fault.

Soldato
Btw when u had the hsf on (not the aio) did u try unplugging all the fans and pump things on the mb since wernt needed, to rule out dodgy fan causes etc. I.e only the 8pin cpu and 24pin psu things plugged in.

Associate
OP
Also………..

I tried populating A1&A2 slots and then B1&B2 slots and powering up and same thing. It’s just gotta be the CPU, no way all 4 brand new memory modules die at the same time.

My friend also reminded me that I was having issues transcoding in Plex with this CPU, it was just dreadful. So maybe I just got a stinker!

Associate
OP
If u do return it for refund or exchange, dont mention about the frame, cos they probs say u broke it cos of that. So mums the word etc. ;)
Oh I am RETURNING this devil spawn! Post office is open tomorrow and that’s where it’s going.

Wanted to ask. What do I do with the new CPU, is there a suggested procedure to check everything is okay with the new one?

Like… just CPU, RAM and no drives or should I just build it like normal. Also is there a crisis hotline I can call if I get the 4 beeps again? Unrelated are you aware of any extremely high bridges that don’t have high railings? /s if this mofo mobo beeps at me one more time!!!

Soldato
Thanks. I have seen those videos. I have done the screws until I get resistance, which is just finger tight if that makes sense? I don’t think that’s the issue but I really appreciate you thinking about this for me
No probs and yes that does make sense.

Hope you get this sorted with a new CPU.

Associate
OP
If u do return it for refund or exchange, dont mention about the frame, cos they probs say u broke it cos of that. So mums the word etc. ;)

No probs and yes that does make sense.

Hope you get this sorted with a new CPU.

So after swapping the motherboard, stripping this mofo down to nothing. Swapping the power supply and now finally, swapping the CPU this thing is back alive.

I had to wait absolutely ages on the return process for the 13600K but upgraded to the 13900K for my troubles.

I have put the stock retention clamp back on to test with 1 stick of ram and placed an air cooler on the top, didn’t even secure it. Just wanted to test boot, got 1 glorious POST okay beep then straight into BIOS.

Wife is off to work shortly and so I’m looking after the little ones for the next few hours. Will need to wait for her to return before I can do the rest of the build.

So happy. Would you ever have guessed the CPU would just die like that though?

Back
Top Bottom