Remember that Redditor who claimed to be scammed by Overclockers UK?

Don't know if it's too early but I found that article hard to read.

So the customer says they sent in a 4070Ti and got a 3050 back but really they sent in a 3050 and OCUK just sent it back to them?

Don't know if it's too early but I found that article hard to read.

So the customer says they sent in a 4070Ti and got a 3050 back but really they sent in a 3050 and OCUK just sent it back to them?
Yep that’s the gist of the story.

OCUK should probably invest in some vision systems for opening returns.

Not sure if the cost outways the benefit though

@adowad is still posting about it on Reddit:

"Lol I know, woke up to an article written about me.

Nothings changed, I'm still at it following the course I was told to go by citizens advice.

I liked the bit they added about me trying to cancel the finance agreement, which never happened, I'm still paying it.

Their smoking gun is still that dpd stated the weight of my parcel to be precisely 500g. Which is what I disproved in my yt video showing the weight of the 3050 in box being over 500g.

Also the bit where I correctly guessed it was a 3050 which also worked against me.

I'll check in when all of my avenues are dry"

And

"It's still ongoing actually, I'm still in talks with the financial ombudsman service (it takes ages).

I also didn't try to cancel my finance with the financier, so I have no idea where they've heard that.

Ocuk still haven't provided any evidence."

Nothings changed, I'm still at it following the course I was told to go by citizens advice.

I liked the bit they added about me trying to cancel the finance agreement, which never happened, I'm still paying it.

Their smoking gun is still that dpd stated the weight of my parcel to be precisely 500g. Which is what I disproved in my yt video showing the weight of the 3050 in box being over 500g.

Also the bit where I correctly guessed it was a 3050 which also worked against me.

And

"It's still ongoing actually, I'm still in talks with the financial ombudsman service (it takes ages).

I also didn't try to cancel my finance with the financier, so I have no idea where they've heard that.

Sounds like he’s on a hiding to nothing.

And

I like that line, as still paying the finance agreement doesn't mean someone didn't try to cancel it and got told "you signed a contract mate, and nothing you've said suggests your story holds water".

Yep that’s the gist of the story.

Not sure if the cost outways the benefit though
I strongly suspect that OCUK's returns etc are quite securely handled as due to the nature of the business there is a high chance of someone trying to defraud them, and they've been around long enough to have probably seen it all before.

I’d be surprised if there isn’t CCTV everywhere.
From their tweet it seems security is pretty high on the agenda..

“Furthermore, due to the nature and value of the products Overclockers UK stock, strict security measures are in place, enhanced further by the recent move to a new premises, which severely limits the movement of products in and out of the premises, as well as between locations and departments. This, together with the genuine, dedicated, hardworking nature of our colleagues, means tampering with customer returns is not possible, including bringing foreign products from outside the premises.”

Last edited:
@Feek @JonRGV250
The system I’m think of sits closer to the station than general CCTV. It may be possible that OCUK has this system but didn’t disclose it for what ever reason.

At Perkins engines they would pack emission components in a box to be shipped with the engine. The work bench had a camera that would record the entire process of packing the box (I think it had more features such as identifying the actual components being packaged but I can’t remember) and then save the video to the engines serial number. If there was any dispute all they do is search for the engines serial number and there’s the video showing exactly what the technician put on the box.

Maybe OCUK could do something similar. The return label is scanned cameras for the work bench start rolling while the package is being unboxed and then save it to the return ID.

Last edited:

And

This reads like "Piers, I was going to send my graphics card to OCUK but they had a big green spot on their face."

I strongly suspect that OCUK's returns etc are quite securely handled as due to the nature of the business there is a high chance of someone trying to defraud them, and they've been around long enough to have probably seen it all before.
I worked for an OcUK competitor back in 2011 and every single bench where something was opened had cameras above to mitigate this exact scenario, I suspect it's going to be industry standard.

Back
Top Bottom