Remote Debugging "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password"

Soldato
Anyone know how to solve this problem, Visual studio 2010.

MS says:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9y5b4b4f(v=vs.100).aspx
Therefore, you must have a local user account on each computer, and both accounts must have the same user name and password. If you want to run msvsmon and Visual Studio under different user accounts, you must have two user accounts on each computer.

So I have this situation:

I have PC1, with VS2010, which has a user called ''U1''

I have PC2, with VS Remote Debugging Monitor running, and a server started with 'U1@PC2'.

PC1 and PC2 both have a user ''U1'' with the same password.

VS is started as ''U1'' on PC1

I type the qualifier ( under attach to process) in VS ''U1@PC2'' or click ''PC2'' under browse. I get ''Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password'' from both ways.

It's doing my head in, I also tried the debugger sevice with ''no authentication'' and ''allow any user to debug'' too, but still, the PC2 denies access for me ''Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password". Any ideas ?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yes, that is the problem, how do I make windows see them as the same user though ?

I have no clue how to get it working, without setting up and joining a domain.

Personally I think MS ****ed up with this, how hard was it to simply prompt for (a local) U/N and PW (from the pc that runs the debugger service) when connecting from VS :(. But anyhow...

I realise U1 @ pc1 and U1 at pc2 are viewed as 2 different users, hence I try ''U1@PC2'' or ''pc2\u1'', but it still doesn't work :(. I've wasted more than an hour trying all sorts of stuff, in that time I could have just installed VS at the pc to debug or tried to deploy the application on my own pc :mad:

Do you or anyone else have some suggestions or done this before without working with Domains, but with 2 pc's in a Workgroup ?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It seems that I have made a mistake, while net users listed my user on my laptop as ''U1'', it was actually using my Microsoft account credentials, had to make a local win 10 account to get authorization, ah well

Back
Top Bottom