• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintainance and upgrades.

Remote Power On/ Power Off the PC

Associate
Hello

I've recently upgraded my PC, thanks to the great advice on here. I'm left with a ASRock Extreme3 Mobo running an old i5 2500k. So I'm thinking about slapping it into a case with a cheap and cheerful PSU, a wifi card and some drives and using it as a media server/ NAS.

The CPU is water cooled - I think I'd like to put a passive heatsink on it, if possible, but what I'd really like to do is be able to turn it on and off remotely. I'm thinking of keeping it in the loft (well insulated) and switching it on with a remote command and off again when not needed.

After a very brief look online I've seen some cards that offer this feature but wanted to see if anyone had done this or recommended against it.

Thanks!

Associate
OP
Isn't this the sort of thing that wake on lan and power settings could handle....

There's also the silverstone eso2-usb but I've no idea how well that works.

Some other options of the above, one even looks to use wifi
I've seen some cards that offer this functionality but with an app over wifi - do you know if those are any good? I'm not sure the remote will get through all the walls in my house up to the loft

Back
Top Bottom