Remotely control OSX from XP? Can it be done?

Associate
Hello :)

I would love to be able to remotely control my apple mac mini from my laptop, i know I can control the xp laptop from my mac but can it be done the other way?

I've not had much luck with google as everythings control xp from osx, so any help would be great!!

Thanx
BigMac

Associate
punky_munky said:
Not that I've tried but doesn't OS X have a VNC server built in via Remote Desktop?

Yes - which I only discovered a few days ago.

Go to System Preferences -> Sharing -> Services -> Apple Remote Desktop and then select 'Access Privileges'.

There's an option 'VNC Viewers may control screen with password'

Associate
OP
Helloooo and thanx for the replys!! :)

I'm going to download the suggested software onto my laptop now but theres one thing I'm confused about and thats the VNC bit your talking about thats already in OSX?

So if I turn that on what does that mean? Does that allow me to use the VNC software?

Sorry if thats a stupid question, but its only easy if you know the answer as chris tarrant says :D

Thanx again!!!!!

Associate
Yes, that option is built into Tiger (not sure about Panther or earlier). I've just tried it now, and activating Apple Remote Desktop on the services tab also opens the relevant ports on the software firewall automatically (including 5900 for VNC). All you'll need is a VNC viewer on the XP machine.

Associate
OP
Hello :)

I now have VNC and that worked like a charm1 i understand now what was ment and thank you sooooooooooooooo much!!!

Is it very network intensive using this sort of prgram as my download speed on the mac mni dropped by about 90% when I connected?

Thanx again!!!!

Associate
Good to hear it's working!

VNC shouldn't be that bad (a 90% drop) - although if you're maxing out the upload speed (sending the info back to your PC), it could slow downloads due to the handshaking etc not getting through. I don't recall having that issue over LAN speeds though.

Associate
OP
Hello and thanx again for the replys :)

I think the problem may have been that I had the server on my laptop too and with only the viewer on it it doesn't seem to drop much which is good :)

I have it on 256 colours, does it affact the mac if I upgrade the colour or does it affect the laptop?

Thanx again for all this help its soooooooo flippin amazing I can do this now!!! Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Back
Top Bottom