remove server

Soldato
remote server

hi. what software is used where all the programs and data is installed remotely on one central computer.

ie the same setup used in university and schools.

where some sort of virtualisation is created on the client pc

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
know im on about where a login screen is prompted, then a virtualisation is created based on the account, once logged in application are already installed as they are served remotely on a server.

i would like to know how this is done

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Lots of ways to do it but the common ways would be Citrix or Windows Terminal services of some flavour.

Soldato
Yes terminal services is a feature of Windows Server (NT4 TSE, 02, 03 or 08). Citrix is a third party product that extends the functionality.

Its not virtualisation per-se though

Associate
You also have Sun Microsystems sun ray...

Smartcard based. Apparantly if setup correctly you can take your smartcard out of a thin client, fly to another office on the other side of the world, and then drop your smartcard in and your desktop will come up exactly as you left it.

We use citrix client at work which allows about 100 people to run the pre-installed apps on the same server.

Most UNIX systems can have multiple Xserver clients connected to them so are really good for thin clients.

Soldato
You also have Sun Microsystems sun ray...

Smartcard based. Apparantly if setup correctly you can take your smartcard out of a thin client, fly to another office on the other side of the world, and then drop your smartcard in and your desktop will come up exactly as you left it.

We use citrix client at work which allows about 100 people to run the pre-installed apps on the same server.

Most UNIX systems can have multiple Xserver clients connected to them so are really good for thin clients.

SunRays are pretty much the same idea - you dont actually need to use the smartcards. Likewise, you can achieve the same mobility with other thin clients like Wyse etc..

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
The new Terminal Server in Windows server 2008 is really neat! You can have all the applications on the clients desktop as if they were installed but are really running from the server.

i.e Just a icon to Word etc that you would double click normally.

Just remember CALs can be costly 10 Users have just cost us £600ish

You might also want to look into VMware ThinApp

http://www.vmware.com/products/thinapp/

Soldato
OP
thanks for suggestions. this wont be in a big environment. plus i dont have the funds for such hardware.

max users would probably be 20 users.

would a core i7 be ok for this sort of setup

Soldato
The new Terminal Server in Windows server 2008 is really neat! You can have all the applications on the clients desktop as if they were installed but are really running from the server.

i.e Just a icon to Word etc that you would double click normally.

Just remember CALs can be costly 10 Users have just cost us £600ish

You might also want to look into VMware ThinApp

http://www.vmware.com/products/thinapp/

Its not exactly a new idea!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrix_WinFrame

Associate
A i7 chip should do that fine, they're pritty beefy chips. We're still using 90nm series Xeon chips and they manage to do the trick. Makesure you use a decent amount of ram though.

Back
Top Bottom