1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing 3M double sided foam tape

Discussion in 'Motors' started by nath247, Jan 29, 2017.

1. nath247

Wise Guy

Hi guys,

Decided to remove the bonnet lip off my ST as the body shop never put it back on correctly (looked wonky). Getting the lip off was straight forward using floss and a hairdryer without damaging it.

The problem I have now is all this old 3M foam tape left over and I've tried Autoglym Tar Remover, WD40 and rubbing alcohol and it's really hard to shift.

Any ideas how to get it off? Reading around online people have suggested 3M adhesive remover, wonder if anyone has used this or similar.

2. Atari

Mobster

Tardis worked pretty well for me in the past - spray it, let it sit for minute or two and then wiping away.

It takes a few attempts but it's worked for me in the past with double sided tape and tape residue.

3. Dis86

Capodecina

Tried the hairdryer on the tape itself?

4. nath247

Wise Guy

I got the worst of it off using a hairdryer, still a lot of residue left over.

5. kindai

Soldato

IPA + a old credit card + elbow grease.

6. Big Spender

Wise Guy

Tardis from autosmart. You will need alot of it and lots of rubbing. Spray, rub, spray, rub, spray, rub til its all gone

7. Rainmaker

Sgarrista

Gyeon Tar and Glue Remover is also worth a look. It's citrus based (unlike Tardis) so can be a bit gentler on paint. When we took delivery of our latest car I requested they delivered it as-is off the transporter, so I had a whole car's worth of glue residue to remove after the protective sheeting and export paperwork had come off. Gyeon Tar blew right through it in seconds. Job jobbed.

8. Demon

Soldato

De-solvit sRicky stuff remover... dies what it says, and removed the leftovers of my 3M number plate sticky pads. B&Q sell it.