Rendering

Associate
If all goes to plan I'll be moving into a 3-bed semi-detached house in a few weeks. The only slight problem is the entire back and half of the side of the house are currently bare grey brick and need rendering. The front and one side of the house is rendered and painted white. The half side of the house that needs it is the upper floor above a garage conversion. Obviously we negotiated the price down with this work in mind.

This is the first house I've owned, so I have absolutely no idea how much this should cost, how long it should take, or what product to ask for. Any suggestions/experience would be much appreciated! :confused:

Associate
OP
Why is it not already rendered would be my question?

They've got most of the way through renovating the house then decided to move. They're quite whimsical arty types, and I don't think they thought through the obvious fact that without a further extension the house wasn't big enough for them and their growing family. Fine for me and the mrs, especially in the area it's in, we'll extend in 5 years or so if we need to.

Associate
Does that mean that extension hasn't been signed off by the building inspectors as its not waterproof?

Also cement sand render is your standard render that you can paint. No idea of cost as thats area dependent.

Associate
OP
Does that mean that extension hasn't been signed off by the building inspectors as its not waterproof?

Also cement sand render is your standard render that you can paint. No idea of cost as thats area dependent.

They haven't built an extension, it's the back of the house. They've converted the garage but that section of the house is red brick which is untouched, it's all internal and first floor work. I think they might have chipped off pebble dash. The survey next week should tell us more.

Area is north Manchester.

Man of Honour
Lots of variables (area to be rendered, depth of rendering needed etc) and area dependant. Also depends on the complexity of scaffolding etc required.

Get quotes and recommendations locally. If you're in devon/Cornwall I can give the details of the people that did the work on our house (and a warning not to use the same incompetent scaffolders we did, the other trades were great)

Associate
OP
Lots of variables (area to be rendered, depth of rendering needed etc) and area dependant. Also depends on the complexity of scaffolding etc required.

Get quotes and recommendations locally. If you're in devon/Cornwall I can give the details of the people that did the work on our house (and a warning not to use the same incompetent scaffolders we did, the other trades were great)

Thanks for the offer, a bit out of the way though! Any obvious things to look out for when getting quotes? What was the problem with the scaffolding?

Man of Honour
Thanks for the offer, a bit out of the way though! Any obvious things to look out for when getting quotes? What was the problem with the scaffolding?

Find out exactly what each is quoting to provide, make sure you agree processes for if things don't go to plan or changes are needed so you don't get any nasty surprises.

We had a few issues with the scaffolders. It was a bit complex because it was our side wall that needed repainting (over 100m2 of wall) , the situation is weird because although we are terraced, our house was built in 1904, and the house next door in the late 50s to replace bomb damaged houses, and the house next door only has about 25% of our depth and around half the height, so the scaffold for our house involved four lifts and going over the neighbours roof to gain full access to the side. It turned out the neighbours roof was essentially made of cheese, so what should have been a fairly simple job then turned into structural scaffolding to bridge over their roof. They were rude to our neighbours, damaged their roof causing leaks that couldn't be fixed until the scaffold was down, constructed the scaffold in such a way that it restricted our neighbours access to the front door and generally made it very difficult, especially after the work was finished (which included the unexpected re rendering, but taking the render off identified the root cause of the leaking, which was one of the roof beams for the previous next door had been rendered over after the war and had rotted, causing the wall to flex) it took them another 4 weeks to get the scaffold down and the roofers in to fix the damage, which ultimately only happened when I threatened to raise their multiple breaches of the code of the industry body they were accredited by to them and to the media, as well as threatening them with legal action. They did get it sorted in the end, but it was not a fun time, especially as it coincided with a death in the household just as we started it all.

Associate
I just had a property of mine entirely re-rendered. It’s a 2 story semi-detached. I asked for a monocouche render, which although expensive upfront, claws back cost because it’s fairly easy to apply and doesn’t need to be painted (comes in colour of choice and is sprayed on). I have had it applied to other properties and comes highly recommended for longevity.
It cost £4500 in total including cost of scaffolding. This property is based in SE London.

The job was due to take 5 days, but weather delayed this somewhat and the scaffolding was up for nearly 2 weeks.

So that’s your ball park.

Soldato
I just had a property of mine entirely re-rendered. It’s a 2 story semi-detached. I asked for a monocouche render, which although expensive upfront, claws back cost because it’s fairly easy to apply and doesn’t need to be painted (comes in colour of choice and is sprayed on). I have had it applied to other properties and comes highly recommended for longevity.
It cost £4500 in total including cost of scaffolding. This property is based in SE London.

The job was due to take 5 days, but weather delayed this somewhat and the scaffolding was up for nearly 2 weeks.

I'd be looking for something like this to remove the hassle of regular painting!

Associate
OP

Spot on, thanks for the reply!

Soldato
We re-rendered in k-rend. 4 bed detached. 3k inscaffold, 2 k to knock old render off, 6k to render. Other odds and sods.

One point not mentioned is building control - Render is a thermal component of house now, needs to be certified.

Back
Top Bottom