Renovating a Grade II Listed Building

Soldato
I've found my new dream house!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67925147.html

It's a shame it's Grade II listed so i imagine it's not simple to fix it up

Has anyone ever done anything like this before or have any experience? I've been reading and i'm a bit confused as one website suggested it could be exempt from VAT on repairs but then in another paragraph it says that repairs do not fall under this exemption.

I'm well aware it would be a massive, massive project and could financially cripple me, but from the photos could anyone with a bit of experience give me an idea of the costs involved. Would £100k cover it? £200k?

Obviously if i decided to pursue it further i'd get proper quotes and surveys done. There doesn't look to be any evidence of damp that i can see so whether that suggests the roof is alright i'm not sure. I imagine that would cost a forture

I do like this bit though
Second Floor
2 Attic Rooms
Suitable for adaptation and creation into further living/dormitory space (Enter at own risk)

Soldato
OP
Yeah, i think i need to do a lot more reading. Looking at the price it's very reasonable and if i can spend £400k and get it all up to scratch then i think it could be worth it and we'd have an amazing forever home. Even that would probably be a push though and i wonder whether it's a possible option if you don't have huge contingency funds.

Will have a watch of that programme.

Soldato
OP
Think as you all say it's very much a pipe dream and not something i could realistically go for. Maybe in 20 years when i'm in a much different position.

My wife and i made a decision to stay in our house for another 5 years a while back but i keep looking! Problem is there's a few things we want to do (front door, bathroom and carpets) which will cost about £6k so we either do it now and i stop myself looking or we just do something cheap like the carpets and look earlier.

Back
Top Bottom