Repairing kettle

Soldato
I have had this kettle for just over 4 years now, but in recent weeks, it has stopped working properly.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LA4BPXQ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A25ZILSVS15GW5&psc=1

Sometimes, it refuses to start boiling when I flick the switch. But most of the time, it starts, then turns itself off mid-boil and then restarts and carries on normally. Once, it blew the fuse in its plug mid-boil; I replaced the fuse and that hasn't happened again since (or the fuse blowing could have been a coincidence). I don't know what's wrong as a result - could be a dodgy connection?

It's descaled regularly and there is minimal limescale buildup inside.

I've taken it apart, but frankly, my knowledge of electrics is limited, so not sure what to check for in terms of finding out what's wrong. No evidence of loose wires or disconnections/failed welds.

Any advice, other than to get a new one? I don't like buying new things unless it could be reasonably repaired.

Sounds like the thermal switch is on the blink. They are usually found in the upper portion of the handle where steam is piped off to heat the bi-metallic strip (switch)

If you can get to it, it may be gunked up or corroded.

I had a similar issue, similarly designed philips, and think the failing cut-out is inside the element itself,
it thinks the kettle boiled dry, and takes time to reset itself
... when it stops, does it make a noise, ? if it does then might be mechanical cut-off as drakulton says.

I couldn't find a replacement element ... and amazon wouldn't refund
... so I bought a an asda which winner replacement, and a backup ... see some of earlier whatr kettle thread

49830869477_9543ac9cbe_o_d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom