Replace or add to Virgin superhub?

Associate
Hi scorchedbee, just going back to your post about the Ethernet ports and using the Google WiFi were you still able to use the products connected to the virgin media hub via a Ethernet cable as well as using the Google WiFi. Also how are you finding it.

Many Thanks

Soldato
Hi scorchedbee, just going back to your post about the Ethernet ports and using the Google WiFi were you still able to use the products connected to the virgin media hub via a Ethernet cable as well as using the Google WiFi. Also how are you finding it.

Many Thanks
With the vm hub in modem mode only 1 ethernet is active (I. E. the up link to the router).

Associate
Ok thanks so is there a way I can connect the wired devices as I have the hive heating hub Philips hue hub and Sonos hub that need to be connected. Or is it better to use another mesh network.

Associate
Thanks for that amazon do a Netgear GS205 gigabit switch will this one work ok, does it have to be managed or unmanaged and will it affect the speed of the network in anyway.

Thank you

Associate
Could I use something like ** No Competitors please ** as a direct replacement for a superhub 3.0? And if so does anyone know if they will give me wifi equal to or better than the virgin hub please. TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Could I use something like as a direct replacement for a superhub 3.0? And if so does anyone know if they will give me wifi equal to or better than the virgin hub please. TIA
You can't replace the hub.

You can put it into modem mode and then connect your own router to it. The router you linked would be suitable (no idea how good/bad it is).

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Thanks for that amazon do a Netgear GS205 gigabit switch will this one work ok, does it have to be managed or unmanaged and will it affect the speed of the network in anyway.

Thank you
You won't need a managed switch. Adding a Gigabit switch will not impact the speed of the network.

Associate
Just following this thread now from google, was actually meaning to sign upto this forum anyway so no time like the present!

Currently on a VM superhub 2, is there much of any diff from the 2 to 3? im looking to do the same here and knock the hub into modem only mode - i want a really strong connection but wonder if the google wifi kit is a bit overkill/expensive compared to say a really strong router, any suggestions for routers at the present time?

Associate
I’ve looked at, and considered, the asus RP-ac68u also as it’s £100 and is classed as a range extender.... or the TPLink VR900 v2 is £95 at other retailers also

I’ll be ordering mine tommorow whatever I end up going with. I’m not the best to advise as I’m clueless still at all this

hopefully you see this mate, iv just gone on amazon to check this TPlink router out and it says its for ADSL/BT/Phone line connections - im assuming when you set this router to "router only mode" it can be used with the virgin super hub set to "modem only mode" correct???

Associate
Anyone know if the TPlink AC1600 V2 would also work??? the only difference i can see between them both is USB ports and the AC1600 only does 300mps over 2.4ghz as opposed to the AC1900 which claims 600mps over 2.4ghz.

Soldato
Anyone know if the TPlink AC1600 V2 would also work??? the only difference i can see between them both is USB ports and the AC1600 only does 300mps over 2.4ghz as opposed to the AC1900 which claims 600mps over 2.4ghz.
It would. (The information is clearly displayed on the manufacturer's product page.)

Back
Top Bottom