Replace screen 60 hz with 120 hz or higher

Associate
Hi, I have lenovo ideapad 3 i7 12th gen which has 60 hz screen.

I like to replace this screen with 120 or higher, can someone please let me know if this is possible?

What do I need to do to replace the screen.

Technically yes, practically no.
You'd have to find a replacement panel that does the job and fits, and I have no idea if anyone makes one. But even if they do that's gonna be a whole lot of ebay/aliexpress hunting and digging through wonderfully unhelpful product pages. And then fighting with glued down easily breakable components. And lots of crossing fingers and hoping it all works as intended.
Honestly if you just want a high refresh rate screen you're probably best off just buying a monitor and plugging the laptop into it. You can even get decent, but expensive, high refresh portable monitors now that should comfortably fit in a laptop bag.

Here's an example of how to go about changing a laptop screen.

Unless Lenovo sell that exact model but with a 120hz screen I wouldn’t even bother attempting because the amount of “finding out” will probably be eye watering. Sell it and buy something with a 120hz screen.

There’s an app that will allow you to add higher refresh rate modes to your monitor. It may work, it may break the monitor if you push it too high.

I’ve added 75hz and 90hz profiles to my HP Elitebook and the 75hz profile works fine.

I’ll try find it but I can’t recall the name off the top of my head.

Technically yes, practically no.
You'd have to find a replacement panel that does the job and fits, and I have no idea if anyone makes one. But even if they do that's gonna be a whole lot of ebay/aliexpress hunting and digging through wonderfully unhelpful product pages. And then fighting with glued down easily breakable components. And lots of crossing fingers and hoping it all works as intended.
Honestly if you just want a high refresh rate screen you're probably best off just buying a monitor and plugging the laptop into it. You can even get decent, but expensive, high refresh portable monitors now that should comfortably fit in a laptop bag.

Here's an example of how to go about changing a laptop screen.

I have found an screen which fits my laptop/ is same as my current screen with refresh rate 120. I just want to confirm if its possible or not before buying it and trying.

would it not be same as remove exiting screen and put new screen in.
I have no idea.

You’d have to check the connectors. It might just be an easy swap but nobody here is likely going to know that specific monitor and laptop combination.

If you buy it and it doesn’t work, resell it

would it not be same as remove exiting screen and put new screen in.

Some are glued in, so replacing the screen and lid in one might a better option. If the screen is physically the same and you can make the correct electronic connection to the board, the display standards should* cover the hand shake and work correctly. I would say some parts of the VESA “standards” are optional.

Its a bit of a suck it and see situation.

Back
Top Bottom