Replace the last of the OCUK Mondeos!

Soldato
Way back in 2008 I followed the then prevailing forum trend of buying a Mondeo which has served me incredibly well. Sadly it has now reached its 20th Birthday and age is taking its toll on this once magnificent machine!

So the question is what should I replace it with? What is the best bang for buck family car on the market? I’m looking for something similar in size to the Mondeo that can be used for long family trips with my two fast growing boys which is also able to carry all the gear, bikes etc that they are amassing! Budget is around 10k, I’m not a brand snob just looking for something comfortable and reliable.

Another Mondeo guy here. Other than lack of a bit more power the Mondeo does everything for me. Mine is a 59 plate hatchback. If I wasn't brand conscious I would look for a Mondeo estate (for the bikes) or a Skoda Superb estate.

Examples below,
Skoda Superb

BMW 520d Touring

E Class Estate

Ford Mondeo Estate

I can’t fault my Mondeo it’s only thrown one big bill in the time I’ve owned it and that was the classic dual
Mass fly wheel, touchwood the injectors have been fine so far!

Superb and Mondeo are very much in my list but was wandering if there was better value in something a bit less popular.

Mine has got the inevitable subframe corrosion on the MOT now for both front and rear. I asked around for a fix and received an offer to refuse. :D

Keeping it till it dies or breaks from rust. Nearing 127k miles now.
I’m north of 160k and the rot is fast closing in all over the place. I’ll be sorry to see it go. Currently need to swap out the intercooler pipe for the 3rd time but other than that it is mechanically relatively sound for a poorly maintained 20 year old car. I keep expecting it to throw a bill I’m unwilling to pay but to date it’s been ‘ok’!

Out of interest, what mileage has it done?
~164k dual mass flywheel died at ~50k and took the starter motor with it so had the classic big bill for that (anyone would think it was a known fault and the replacement parts were updated given mine is still pretty much rattle free!) other than that it’s gone through plenty of tyres a couple of springs and annoyingly 3 rear callipers as they seem to do nothing when gently driven so rust up solid! Had it’s first ever welding a year or so ago and the underside is definitely deteriorating.

I would avoid personally,

Been reading car mechanic magazine since 18 and I am pushing 40. Their project cars, they have almost never had to replace an engine, except in one of those and it was a total nightmare.
I also have a pal in the army whose brother owns one and has put silly money into keeping it on the road.

Still, any make/ model can have a lemon I guess. But I would look further into it before considering it.

I had a look on autotrader for you last night, struggling for suggestions as its a size car I do not usually look for.

It is diesel you are after?

Shame an accord would be slightly too old, really rate the Honda engines, I suspect a civic tourer would be too small inside (boots huge)
How does a Passat stand for value vs an Octavia that I have seen mentioned?
I’m not too fussed fuel wise I don’t do moon millage so diesel isn’t essential but when you look at cars in this class the majority seem to be diesels.

Back
Top Bottom