Replace X-Fi XtremeMusic with X-Meridian?

Associate
I remember reading a review comparing the X-FI to the X-Meridian, basically the conclusion was the X-Meridian was better than the X-FI for its digital outputs and some on board digital processing, decoding and the like. But if you don't have the need to run digital outputs, the X-FI seems to be the stronger card. The X-FI provides greater performance in games, including having EAX 5.0, whereas the X-Meridian can only go to 2.0.

A good quick comparison can be seen here, but there are other in depth comparison reviews to be found with a little Googling.
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/auzentech/meridian2.php

I also currently have an X-FI and some Z-5500's too, and wont be switching to the X-Meridian.

Associate
OP
Cool. Optical isn't essential if the X-fi sounds better over analogue. I do like the CMSS 3D and Crystaliser stuff on the X-Fi, just wondered if all this DDL/DTS Connect hype was worth it.

Suspended
Shakey_Jake33 said:
Cool. Optical isn't essential if the X-fi sounds better over analogue. I do like the CMSS 3D and Crystaliser stuff on the X-Fi, just wondered if all this DDL/DTS Connect hype was worth it.

I've used CMSS 3D and Crystaliser. It made it sound worse- basically just bass and treble boost with slight reverb, if you have a decent system you don't need it. I guess sat systems are so bad you need to adjust the sound to compensate.

Rotel amp & B&W 601 in my PC system.

Associate
I'd agree about the CMSS 3D not being all that good - at least I can't find much use for it.

However, the crystaliser really does make a difference - I guess it depends on what you listen to, but for me, it makes everything sound a lot more dynamic and punchy than with it off :)

Back
Top Bottom