Replacement budget psu

Associate
My dads Corsair HX620 which he has had for so long must be 10+ years finally come to an end which is a shame so i need a quick replacement.

The problem is no matter what i say due to it being Xmas period he doesn't want to spend much on this item £40-50 max

I see a few are currently on offer which I listed below are they any good also modular is a bonus but i know at this price point it would be hard.

I know it wont be anything like the quality his former one was but anything that is solid enough for this setup is more then he should need (7970, 2500k oc, tv card, 3hdd 1ssd)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cougar-vtx-650w-80-plus-bronze-power-supply-black-ca-02c-cu.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/koli...us-bronze-modular-power-supply-ca-02e-kk.html

Associate
OP
Anything from OCUK will have their support but it is not recommended to go budget on a PSU.
Andi.

I know that but this is not for myself otherwise I would have paid out much more this is why I was asking for help not sure about psu under £50 and not really any info/reviews for lot of the units in that price point so any help would do.

I listed those two because they was on special offers here

Soldato
My dads Corsair HX620 which he has had for so long must be 10+ years finally come to an end which is a shame so i need a quick replacement.

The problem is no matter what i say due to it being Xmas period he doesn't want to spend much on this item £40-50 max
Tell him that then he'll have to buy new PSU again before next 10 years have gone.
Unless PC is used for something like hour or two per day in light use wouldn't trust cheap PSUs to be reliable for real stress after three-four years.
That HX620 lasted that long exactly because it was high quality PSU.

not really any info/reviews for lot of the units in that price point so any help would do.
You think cheap brands want people to see how those struggle in performance and how badly they're built?

Associate
OP
Tell him that then he'll have to buy new PSU again before next 10 years have gone.
Unless PC is used for something like hour or two per day in light use wouldn't trust cheap PSUs to be reliable for real stress after three-four years.
That HX620 lasted that long exactly because it was high quality PSU.

You think cheap brands want people to see how those struggle in performance and how badly they're built?

As I stated he wont listen so no point keep going on about it if he doesn't have any more money that is all he has

basically you are saying there is no good psu under £50?

That hx620 cost £63

what has info/reviews got to do with brands wanting to see they may be poor rubbish any one now can get these units test them or review them it's not like the old days you had to get review samples sent to you then use expensive pro equipment to test.

Doesn't ocuk use kolink and cougar psu in bunch of their builds they sell? i did spot that some place

Soldato
...it's not like the old days you had to get review samples sent to you then use expensive pro equipment to test.

Doesn't ocuk use kolink and cougar psu in bunch of their builds they sell? i did spot that some place
Proper performance testing still requires quite expensive equipment.
And performance as factory fresh doesn't matter if it degrades as fast as toilet paper outside.
Well... in that sense you can tell about expected life time without even testing because design goal (made to last/made to fail) shows in component selection.

Cougar is HEC's retail brand name and they're basically low to mediocre quality manufacturer.
Kolink is just brand something cheap enough stuff.

And bundled PSUs in any cheaper packages are rarely good.
As the saying goes there's no such thing as free lunch.

Fair decade ago Antec had totally horrible PSUs bundled with cases:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/293225-28-antec-smartpower-truepower-warning
Once helped neighbour to select PC parts then assembling it and I told about very reliable unreliability of Sonata II bundled PSU.
Five month later got call that trying to start PC had resulted in muffled pop from PSU.
Next "standard" Chinese capacitor PSU then developed cold start problem in IIRC 3½-4 years.
That was the last cheap capacitor PSU put to his computer.

That hx620 cost £63
BitFenix Formula is something I could recommend.
It has modern design and quality capacitors.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=bitfenix+formula
80+ Bronze PSUs with quality capacitors simply aren't any cheaper

Associate
OP
Proper performance testing still requires quite expensive equipment.
And performance as factory fresh doesn't matter if it degrades as fast as toilet paper outside.
Well... in that sense you can tell about expected life time without even testing because design goal (made to last/made to fail) shows in component selection.

Cougar is HEC's retail brand name and they're basically low to mediocre quality manufacturer.
Kolink is just brand something cheap enough stuff.

And bundled PSUs in any cheaper packages are rarely good.
As the saying goes there's no such thing as free lunch.

Fair decade ago Antec had totally horrible PSUs bundled with cases:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/293225-28-antec-smartpower-truepower-warning
Once helped neighbour to select PC parts then assembling it and I told about very reliable unreliability of Sonata II bundled PSU.
Five month later got call that trying to start PC had resulted in muffled pop from PSU.
Next "standard" Chinese capacitor PSU then developed cold start problem in IIRC 3½-4 years.
That was the last cheap capacitor PSU put to his computer.

BitFenix Formula is something I could recommend.
It has modern design and quality capacitors.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=bitfenix+formula
80+ Bronze PSUs with quality capacitors simply aren't any cheaper

So you are saying OCUK builds are rubbish

The old bundled PSU has nothing to do with this I am not selecting a case with PSU for that price point.

I agree but price doesn't always = quality plus I could argue I have had people I know pay out for so called best quality PSU and had problems even myself I went through two XFX highly rated built by Seasonic in less than 5 years.

None of those bitfenix units are under £50 and the two I linked to was just what stood out because of the sale it's not a case of have to have one of those open to any option if it doesn't go past £50

Associate
OP
I am going to just give him extra £15-20

new amount available is £65-70 now

any one rate this psu
EVGA 750 GQ, 80+ GOLD 750W, Semi Modular, 210-GQ-0750-V3it's going for £67

Soldato
EVGA brand has so many different versions of some of its PSUs so it's actually hard to find anything firm about those... Especially when they don't seem to be printing actual detailed product number anywhere.

But at least this particular one has, rarely for FSP built, quality capacitors instead of usual third tier C(r)apXons.
Though otherwise it's budget level platform.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-gq-series-750w-psu,4396-10.html

The old bundled PSU has nothing to do with this I am not selecting a case with PSU for that price point.
Any kind bundled PSUs aren't any more charity today than they were then.

Associate
OP
I couldn't find that deal danny I looked about otherwise i would have gone for that straight away but if it's still on i know a friend who would be interested in it.

Ended up settled for one of the super flower units paying extra on top over dads budget hopefully save me headaches in years to come

thanks for every ones suggestions

Back
Top Bottom