Replacement for FK2

Soldato
The scroll wheel on my Zowie FK2 has been on the blink for a while now. I could get it working again by tapping it quite gently against the desk, but recenlty it's been refusing to scroll almost all the time, and I'm having to give it more and more emphatic thuds against the desk to get it to scroll again for just a few seconds. Too annoying. I've tried using an air duster to blow into the gaps at the edges of the wheel, but I think I might just have to get a new mouse.

Now, while it looks like you can still get hold of an FK2, all the ones I've seen online no longer seem to have the two side buttons on the right side of the mouse. I'm a lefty, and as use the mouse in my left hand, I use those two thumb buttons quite regularly.

Any recommendations for an ambidextrous mouse with side buttons on both sides about the same size and heft as the FK2?

Ideally looking to keep the budget to around £50 or under, but realise that might be a bit tight for a decent mouse.

Soldato
OP
Just saw youre a lefty and need the mouse buttons on the right.
Yeah, thanks for replying, but I do really want the side buttons usable.

I've had a quick look around, and it doesn't look like there's a huge selection of suitable mice.

I think I've narrowed it down to one of the Razer Viper 8K, Pulsar X2A or Corsair M55.

The M55 is the cheapest, so I may give that one a go unless there are better options I might have missed?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I switched from a Zowie FK1 to a Logitech G Pro Wireless and the shape is very similar. It's an ambidextrous shape and you can swap the side buttons or have them on both sides if you like.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I already ended up going with the Viper 8K as it was on offer not long ago. It's got a little bit more of a hump than the FK2, and sits more fully in my palm. It feels like it might take a little bit of getting used, but think it will be fine.

I have a probably well out-of-date reticence about wireless mice due to latency issues (that I would guess most haven't had for ages now) and having to think about charging or replacing batteries. I might try one out at some point, though.

Soldato
OP
It will almost certainly just be fluff caught in the wheel blocking the slots where the led shines from one side to the other for the scroll function to work. Sounds like exactly the same I get on a MX518 from time to time. Sounds like a proper dismantle to be able to pick the fluff out and give it a proper clean would bring it back to full working order. Blowing through the gaps without dismantling not enough by the looks of it. Unless you just fell like a new mouse anyway?

Edit: Oh looks like you already got a new one. Well, it is an easy repair on the old one unless you've binned it.

Yeah, trying to bring the FK2 back to life is definitely on my to-do list. Just not at all confident it will work or that I won't break it completely, and as I couldn't risk being without a mouse at all I grabbed the Viper while it was reduced.

Looks like I have to peel off the feet of the FK2 to get at some screws, which is a bit annoying...

Soldato
OP
Ok, so to update:

I opened up the FK2 and it was full of cat hair. Took the wheel off, and gave it and the contact a clean, generally brushed and pulled out all the cat hair. And it seems like the wheel is working again.

The only issue is that I wasn't able to get the sticky mouse feet pad things back on neatly and the front one is now a bit buckled, meaning it scratches a bit on the mousepad. Worth keeping as a spare or backup, but a bit too annoying for everyday use. I don't know if there's a solution to this - some third-party adhesive pads or whatever to replace the one I've ruined?

Given how frequently this must happen to mice, it's really annoying that the screws to open them up are concealed under these pads that then need to go back on precisely to make them move smoothly.

Soldato
OP
Looks like you can get new feet from the ubiquitous Ali Express, or Ebay quite readily for a few quid. I just googled "FK2 mouse feet"

edit: Also, it may have been easier to get the feet off if you had warmed them up first to loosen the glue. Either with a hairdryer or just placing it on a hot water bottle or something for a bit.

Ah, good tip about the heat to loosen the glue. I will try that next time.

Might have another look for new feet. I had ignored the AliExpress links tbh. Never ordered from them. Isn't it all shipped from China? I'd always guessed that was very expensive and slow to ship.

Back
Top Bottom