Replacement for HP microserver

Associate
I have been running WHS on a HP Microserver 24/7 for quite a few years now using it as a file store and a Plex server. I have 3 disks in it using DrivePool although one drive has just started to report some problems so due to be replaced. Key data is being backed up to a cloud backup provider.

I am about to get some IP camera and looking to run Blue Iris to support them.

I am now thinking of replacing the HP with something a bit more capable and maybe going down the ESXi 7 route. I do have another Ryzen 5 based machine that isn't used that much so my initial thought was to repurpose that, but having a read around ESXi isn't supported on Ryzen processors. Is this correct?

If I have to get something else I don’t mind building something or buying second hand, but the machine needs to be quiet and efficient. My company offer discounted ex-corporate machines and I have had a couple of mint laptops through this route. I noticed a HP ProDesk 490 g3 i7 8gb 1TB HDD that has just become available which I can get for £350. It has the right form factor but looks like it only have room for 1 2.5” and 2x3.5” so I would be concerned about expansion.

I wouldn’t want to pay any more than £350 for something to replace the HP Microserver.

Any thoughts?

Associate
OP
I've been looking a bit more at reusing the Ryzen 5 based machine with unRaid as this seems to meet my needs. I was hoping to remove the GPU as it is quite old, and very loud and I suspect not energy efficient but found that the CPU doesn't have any integrated GPU. So I would need to get a very cheap GPU if I went down this route.

The case is also a Fractal Design S so doesn't have a HDD cage. I think the 3 on the side panel are already full.

Maybe I will ditch the idea of re-using this box.

Soldato
Do you have access to the Members Market? If you do, it's worth putting something in the Wanted section. I specced something similar for another member recently and it was well under your budget.

Soldato
I've been looking a bit more at reusing the Ryzen 5 based machine with unRaid as this seems to meet my needs. I was hoping to remove the GPU as it is quite old, and very loud and I suspect not energy efficient but found that the CPU doesn't have any integrated GPU. So I would need to get a very cheap GPU if I went down this route.

The case is also a Fractal Design S so doesn't have a HDD cage. I think the 3 on the side panel are already full.

Maybe I will ditch the idea of re-using this box.
I think you could do a Ryzen based system quite easily. Your probably only going to need 8gb RAM and a PSU if you're already got the CPU and motherboard so you should be able to do it in budget.

If you dont have a motherboard then go for something MATX as it gives you more case options if you want something with a lot of bays.

I used a graphics card like this on my Ryzen server to free up the main PCIE slots for Raid card and Networking: https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/geforce®-gt-710-1gb-pcie-x-1 (using that gives me 2 x8 slots free on x470, or 1 x16 if I went back to b450)

Associate
OP
Unfortunately I don't have access to the market place.

The existing machine I have is a Ryzen 5 2600, MSI B450 Tomahawk, 16Gb, and a e quiet Straight Power 11 550W PSU inside a Fractal Design S case. These bits were bought about 18months ago to replace an old core2duo setup and is used for general stuff by the family, some games, homework etc. I could reuse this as we have a selection of other laptops etc in the house which could cover its important uses.

The more I look into it the more that something based around unRaid to replace the WHS based Microserver seems to suit my needs. I don't think I will never need a huge number of disks but do like the look and style of the FD Node 804 case. I like the case to be discrete. I did find a thread in here were someone has build a Ryzen based server in the 804.

I could get another graphics card as mentioned then move all the components from the FD S case into a Node 804 case.

Associate
OP
I used a graphics card like this on my Ryzen server to free up the main PCIE slots for Raid card and Networking: https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/geforce®-gt-710-1gb-pcie-x-1 (using that gives me 2 x8 slots free on x470, or 1 x16 if I went back to b450)

Thats a good idea but it can only find a new one coming in at around £60. Standard GT 710 are plentiful on a well known auction site for around £10 which should be fine until I get to the point of needing additional slots

Associate
OP
I've been doing some more research this afternoon. Having set my heart on a FD Node 804 I notice that it is mATX and the MSI Tomahawk is ATX. I don't really want the build to escalate out of control cost wise so I think I am going to stick with the case I have (Design S) and try to get a drive cage for it.

I did put a bid on a GT 170 this afternoon but just missed out. There are a few on the auction site at the moment so I will keep my eyes peeled. I don't have access to the Market Place to be able to ask in there.

I do need to get some more disk anyway. So I might order a couple of either 6Tb or 8Tb Ironwolf drives. That will allow me to get the Unraid server set up and start transferring the data across. I can then slowly decomm the Microserver.

Back
Top Bottom