Replacement PSU Recommendation Please

GM2

GM2

Associate
Hi

I built the below system about 4 years ago, with one exception, I used a Corsair HX520W PSU that I already had, which I've just checked and actually dates back to 2008!

The system has been generally great for what I wanted and needed. But recently it's started to randomly immediately shut down, especially if the sun is shining on the case as it does late afternoon. Takes a knock on the side of the case to get it to fire up again. Suggestion from Electrical Engineer son is that it's most probably a dry solder joint in the PSU.

Given the PSU is now 15 years, probably due a change. I'm happy to consider either a direct replacement or to upgrade it for something better and with a bit of future proofing.

Recommendations for a replacement please?

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Associate
You don't give us an idea of how much you use the PC and if you use it for more than, for example web browsing all of which are less stressful than gaming 4-8 hours a day or leaving it on 24/7 (both would benefit from Gold+ rated). Also a budget would be useful but don't expect to get much change from £90 as PSU seem to be one of those components currently experiencing large price increases.

With that out of the way, your current system would easily run on a 550w PSU. However, not many decent ones around at that level. The best OCUK in stock would be the SuperFlower Leadex III Gold 550w for £72 or (not in stock) bequiet System Power 9 Bronze 600w £50

With future proofing in mind, you could look to the Seasonic Focus GX-650 650W 80+ Gold Modular for £95. However, to support any further CPUS or GPU in a future build, you can consider a ATX3.0 spec like the MSI MAG A750GL 750W 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.0 PCIE5 £100. Both of these are overkill for the current system but can be taken through to your next build.

Last edited:
Reactions: GM2
Associate
I suggest that maybe you look around at other retailers as well to see what they offer and what is in stock and we can give some advice on specific units then as OCUK, like many others seems to have many things out of stock and you may have to shop around for a decent PSU that is in stock as a decent price.

Associate
i always buy seasonic psu`s, expensive but they tend to over build them for their rating and you get what you pay for
You should qualify that by specifying models as not many people would recommend a Seasonic S12II/S12III, A12 etc. You generally cannot shop for a brand as most of them make good models and bad models.

Soldato
You should qualify that by specifying models as not many people would recommend a Seasonic S12II/S12III, A12 etc. You generally cannot shop for a brand as most of them make good models and bad models.

I have owned this for 10 and a half years and it still works perfectly in every way. Nothing wrong with it.

Seasonic Bronze S12II-620 620W Power Supply (PSU)​

Also owned this 10 years and still works

Seasonic X-Series 650W​

GM2

GM2

Associate
OP
Thanks for the quick responses. A bit more info...

PC is used 75% for web browsing and general 'office' uses. I work from home about 3 days per week, when it is on from say, 08:00 until probably 22:00 or later.

The rest is a mixture of:
Various photography related stuff, including some Photoshop etc.
Some gaming. Would need to check what games, but mostly Call of Duty, some GTA and a bunch of other Steam and random games.
A bit of video editing, but not masses.
Some design programs (1x grad engineer, 1 at uni).
Bits of VR.
etc etc etc.

Price - no fixed idea. Happy to spend whatever is sensible. Maybe £130? But more if necessary. Less if no need to spend more!

Hope that gives enough info?

Associate
my personal choice would be this over the corsair one you have chosen

or if you dont want the rgb bling, for a little extra and a bit more power this one may do

they are gold rated, 7 year or 5 year warranty and Superflower brand...just my opinion ;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Price - no fixed idea. Happy to spend whatever is sensible. Maybe £130? But more if necessary. Less if no need to spend more!

For £130, I'd get MSI's A850G PCIE5, but it is not in stock right now. That'd be sufficient for anything up to a 4080.

GM2

GM2

Associate
OP
...However, to support any further CPUS or GPU in a future build, you can consider a ATX3.0 spec like the MSI MAG A750GL 750W 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.0 PCIE5 £100. Both of these are overkill for the current system but can be taken through to your next build.
Thanks for this suggestion.

At that sort of price, it seems well worth paying the extra for ATX3.0 and more power.

Are you recommending this specific model because it's a good choice in it's class? Or mainly because it's in stock at OCUK?

Man of Honour
Thanks for the suggestion. Compared to the MSI MAG A750GL 750W, is it mainly just another 100W for £30 or is there more to it than that?

I don't know I'm afraid, I can't find any reviews of the GL. I suspect it is a slightly lower tier PSU, from the price and no mention of Japanese capacitors in the datasheet (i.e. on par with the Be quiet 12 M), but I can't confirm that.

Here's a review of the A1000G PCI5:

Associate
Thanks for the suggestion. Compared to the MSI MAG A750GL 750W, is it mainly just another 100W for £30 or is there more to it than that?
I think it is a slightly improved model. It has a zero fan switch and states 100% Japanese capacitors (MPG) whilst the MSI MAG does not state that anyway. On OCUK, I cannot see any difference in warranty but I would imagine you would get a couple of extra years on top of the MAG. Both are good units though.

However, as stated, anything over 600w is overkill for current spec however, it does allow for future upgrades or can be taken through to a future build. There really is a shortage of choices at the moment so you may have to spend more than usual.

GM2

GM2

Associate
OP
I've seen the MPG 750 for about £100 too.

Toying between the MPG 750 or 850 (£100/£130). Both overkill for now, but both with a chunk of headroom for a future build.

Anything else at that size/price etc I should consider. If not, very happy with these suggestions.

Thanks all for your help.

GM2

GM2

Associate
OP
Back
Top Bottom