Replacement PSU spec + other options

Associate
Hi :),

looks like my Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 850W ATX2.2 Modular SLi Compliant Power Supply may of died after 9 years!.

850Watt is probably over kill and i dont want to go crazy if im getting a new PC soon.
the alternative is i buy a good one now that will do as in my New PC as well.

so can i have 2 options :

1) a minimuim wattage i need based on these old specs below.

2) recommendation for a future proff PSU for a new system that will do for years to come that i can use for the time being till im ready to buy.

ALSO i like quite PSUs

Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366)
Corsair 12GB DDR3 10666C9 1333MHz XMS3 TwinX Tri Channel Kit (6x2GB)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 WindForce 3x OC Rev2.0 3072MB GDDR5
Pioneer DVR-216DBK 20x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter
TP-Link 450Mbps Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter
Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 CPU Cooler
1x Samsung 500GB SSD 840 EVO SATA 6Gb/s Basic
1x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache
1x One old HDD i can't remember
Antec P182 Super Midi Tower Case (5fans)

Option 3 :

i'd like to make a Mini PC out of these spare parts eventally for use as a spare / travel / TV PC / Steam PC.

what can i recycle from this? if i decide to strip it out and make it now. surely the cheepest intel CPU replcemnt now is better than a Intel Core i7 920?

Thanks for all your help

P

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply BaugBait, very appreciated :) i actually have a 600w in the system at the moment which i have borrowed from a kind person at my work. hooked it up and its running well but it does depend on load. not tried it in any games yet so that its always a concern. i am thinking of splashing out and getting something for the future which will go in a new system when i am ready to buy. so it will have to be good enough for the latest processor, Gcards and all the latest and greatest.

so im thinking 850w at £144 or maybe stretch the extra £30 for a 1000w... this will them be my PSU for the new system and a stopgap for the mean time, which makes sense.

if you or anyone else has any recommendations i'd be very grateful. :)

Associate
OP
Thanks All for your insightful input.
im probably going to go with the Bequiet! Straight Power 11 1000w PSU, the last one lasted 9 years so that a good stint in my book. this will be the stop gap for the new system. Esat the 11 internal design is a much better design by the looks of it and used Japanese 105 capacitors so they should be the better right?
hopefully this should keep at its most efficient draw at 50% at 93% efficiency most of the time.

Any reason why i shouldn't buy this?

Associate
OP
since you recommend them maybe i'll go for a Seasonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 850W that is within my budget and the warranty with 10 years so that is a Plus.
i want to keep it at 850w as that is what i had previously and may want to upgrade in future.

the Titanium psus are far to much.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Have installed the Seasonic 850w and wow its great...or my old one was incredibly dead for a while and the 600w Coolermaster one i was using temporarily was also not that fab. somehow my PC seem way faster and responsive now, maybe my 780 is now getting the correct juice?. anyway thanks all so far i am dead please with it lets hope it continues and thanks again Esat for your advice. Cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom