Replacement router

Associate
Currently have a Asus RT-AC86u (two as one is in AP mode with ethernet backhaul mesh) that is now EOL and even with Asus-merlin, that will no longer be supported beyond the end of this year. My setup is as follows: fibre comes into the home in the ONT then cable to the router. Then another cable from router to the other RT-AC86u in AP mode for wired backhaul mesh.

I don't necessarily need to keep the mesh as the AP is central to the house. I could move to a router with no wireless capability and use an AP for just WiFi. What options would I have for that? I have thought about OpnSense and even have a space small PC I could use, would that be a good option paired with a Ubiquiti U7-Pro? (I'd like to have WiFi 6 minimum now as my current setup doesn't support it but future proof for as long as possible).

I do have devices that need a static IP (Home Assistant, cameras etc). For wired devices are the IP addresses setup on router and then any wireless static IP addresses setup on the AP?

Last edited:
Plenty of options to choose from tbh. You could do much worth than OPNsense, at least it’s not another Asus you’re considering. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom