Replacing BT Smart Hub2

Associate
Hi I am currently using a BT Smart Hub 2, in general it works OK but does lose signal in some parts of my 5 bedroomed property.
Any suggestions for purchasing new equipment? a router that would use the Smart Hub modem? or purchase a new modem with a compatible router?

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Not brilliant with this type of technology so could you please keep it simple?

Soldato
WiFi is WiFi is WiFi. Anything more than one wall or floor between the WiFi client device and the BT Hub will significantly reduce your coverage.

The BT Hubs are actually pretty decent Wireless LAN devices. It’s very unlikely that you’ll find a significant improvement from a direct replacement, located in the same place.

The signal on any all-in-one modem/router/access point is omni-directional so in free space it’s a big globe of WiFi signal. So if, as most of these devices are, your BT Hub is tucked away in a corner on the ground floor then you’re wasting a big chunk of coverage. Relocating your BT Hub to the middle of the first floor can often yield incredible improvements in coverage. Many homes have phone points in the upstairs bedrooms so it’s an easy thing to try out and is completely free of charge. Even if you have to run a phone extension, it’s a fairly cheap thing to do and relocating the device generally gives the best improvement of all the single device options.

If that doesn’t give you the coverage you’re after you then have the option of a mesh type system (such as BTs disc system) and these work fairly well in many homes.

If you want proper coverage then you need wired remote access points and these require you to run at least one cable from your BT Hub location to (usually) the top of the stairs landing ceiling. These ceiling mounted access points are directional and project a curtain of WLAN coverage down and sideways. Sometimes you need more than one to get good coverage in a really big house and a lot of home owners are highly resistant to drilling holes in walls and ceilings. If you really want GREAT WLAN coverage then ceiling mounted access points are the solution you need.

Associate
OP
Hi
Thanks so much for your advice it all seems clear now. All of your solutions were well written and understood.

I intend to install the access points and have found this one online, Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE UniFi GEN2 AC1200 dual-band WiFi 5 PoE. It will involve pulling in a cat6 cable which should be straightforward (famous last words)

Thanks Tommy

Associate
I swapped my Smart Hub2 mainly because of poor network security for an EDGE Router, but provide WiFi using three unlinked White BT discs. One is in my room/office, one is in a plastic box on the end of the house out the back and one is downstairs in what we call the big lounge. WiFi is only used for Kindles, ipad and iphones. Everything else is wired - as it should be in my opinion. The discs are on a separate LAN to the wired devices with one way traffic filtering. 10.0.0.1 for example cannot speak to anything on 192.168.25.1. But 192.168 can speak to 10.0. 10.0 has full internet access. My mobile is the only device that can see 192.168 and 10.0 as the disc in my room is on 192.168. No discs are visible. I use a Diet Pi as a recursive DNS server with domain blocking. Works very well. No more ads for me, except Youtube which is apparently illegal and impossible to block. The set up needs some tidying but as I am still learning something may change.

y4m9J7cbkxkGA4HEB81vldlyty5Dn14mqFBJrkBxXyQESYofH_mJFvdazRK5cvBvaIpXSokpxqa23vWS6W9bLF06kQB9aLESupYleXQXUv7Uyxkh91bKli0qR5mW0aQaHHmYJBFIsMwfxDS_OL7C-Q3rha2I-2K7N0Xjm71i5Gh6n7uMPEQp_BrOpmVWn9OsAjz

Back
Top Bottom