replacing fork springs advice.

jcr

jcr

Associate
Thunderace needs new springs. the stock spring length on my model (1996) is 97mm. all the following years the length is 87mm and using more fork oil.
the YSS replacement spring i looked at is only 82mm.
would the spring just drop in with no other parts needed and do i follow the fluid levels for the newer models rather than my 1996 figures.
its all a bit confusing.

Man of Honour
You should be able to drop the shorter spring in and compensate by dropping the legs in the triple clamps to keep the geometry correct. The shorter springs should ideally be a bit stiffer to compensate for the reduced travel.

Id recommend trying to get the stock size. Once you knock the geometry out of balance, you can end up chasing your tail trying to get the bike to feel right.

Soldato
Have you decided on progressive or linear springs? I'd suggest Hagon for progressives or K-Tech for linear, both have good customer services and should be able to sort you out with the right spring length and advise on what weight of oil to use.

jcr

jcr

Associate
OP
Was just going to buy whatever springs are cheapest to be honest.

I've no problems getting forks off. I serviced them last year and one of the springs was at its service limit. Now I have a slightly leaking oil seal so thought I'd just as well change springs and bushes whilst doing seals.
I just wasn't sure if a spring that's shorter wouldn't require additional spacers or more oil. According to the blurb on website it's a straight swap.

Back
Top Bottom