Replacing HDD on Compaq laptop help

Associate
Hi Folks,

I have a Compaq Evo N600c laptop that I want to replace the HDD of. Currently it has a 20gb drive in it but it's making grinding noises. Also, it currently has Win 2000 pro installed on it from a long time ago (I bought the laptop second hand a year ago) and I want it to have XP on so might as well get a new drive and install it fresh.

How do I go about getting all the drivers I need for the laptop to install them on a fresh install? I have had a quick look on the manufacturers site and couldn't see anything.

Also, is the replacement of the HDD an easy job?

Cheers all,

Matt

Associate
ALL the drivers are here:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/EvoNotebook/us/locate/64_2044.html

Fitting The Hdd Is Easy...

Theres one screw on the base that holds the hdd caddy in place, simply remove that.... then slide the hdd out the side (you may need a flat blade screw driver to "prise" up the plastic, it slides upwards allowing you to remove the drive you'll see it), take out the 4 screws, remove it from the caddy (dont forget to take the hdd connector off too) and simply replace the other drive....

ps dont go forking out for a compaq spare numbered drive (XXXXXX-XXX) they are ridiculously priced (best i've seen is a 6gb for £180+vat !! okay!!! lol) any 2.5" hdd will work fine :p

sorted!

thanks

$c8t@

Last edited:
Soldato
Slinkie said:
Hi Folks,

I have a Compaq Evo N600c laptop that I want to replace the HDD of. Currently it has a 20gb drive in it but it's making grinding noises. Also, it currently has Win 2000 pro installed on it from a long time ago (I bought the laptop second hand a year ago) and I want it to have XP on so might as well get a new drive and install it fresh.

How do I go about getting all the drivers I need for the laptop to install them on a fresh install? I have had a quick look on the manufacturers site and couldn't see anything.

Also, is the replacement of the HDD an easy job?

Cheers all,

Matt
Beauty of XP is the amount of hardware it supports natively especially XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) :)

Replacement, this might be useful... Compaq PDF Service Manuals :cool:

Suspended
Make sure you don't buy a 2.5" HD that the BIOS doesn't detect the full capacity, laptop BIOS's can be restricted (on purpose) so if possible bung in a couple and see full capacity of the drive is detected.

Windows XP SP2 slipstream disc should find most of the devices, and install standard MS drivers. Hopefully you'll be able to work out specific chipsets on motherboard, graphics, soundcard, modem, cardbus from Windows device manager, google searches or specifications on your laptop.

Back
Top Bottom