Replacing old SSD with bigger new one

Associate
How hard/complex is it to say buy 1TB SSD and set that as my boot drive from what is my 250gb SSD.

I want to look at replacing my HD's with more SSDs as i currently only have a 1 TB mechanical and 250GB SSD i use as a boot and one or two applications

Associate
Should be fairly easy.

Use something like Macrium Reflect to clone the entire drive over to the new larger SSD (boot manager, etc and all). Then unplug the original smaller SSD and plug in the newer one into the same port that was used.

In most cases fairly seemless, however there are the occasional hiccups depending on how old your BIOS and motherboard is where it isn't recognised, but that should be few and far between these days. But in most cases, easy to do. Note however, that HDD typically don't give you more than double digit MB/s transfer rates, so it might need to be left during the cloning process over a period of time (depending on how much space used, could be many hours), so might be a project to do overnight.

Soldato
Not sure about free version macrium
But mine has MBR option when
Cloning
Ie think it rewrites the MBR to the target drive
In case the MBR was originally on
A second drive
Also has a really good fix non booting
Tool if installed the windows
PE or ran it off usb

Soldato
do i then need to go into the bios to tell the computer to boot from a different drive?
Will depend on which drive has
The boot record on it
After cloning restart and see if it
Boots the drive you want
If not yes use bios to set boot drive
Or F key for temporary choosing
A boot drive
Just remember if you have the
Old drive and cloned drive
Connected at the same time they
Will be called the same name
And may need to look at drive sizes
To tell which is which drive

Soldato
do i then need to go into the bios to tell the computer to boot from a different drive?
Depends on what you had as boot drive.
If SSD is boot drive then what ever is done for rest doesn't matter.

Though if you're one of those masochists still running OS from HDD, then you likely need to change boot drive setting in BIOS to new SSD.
Also if OS was installed to SSD, but with HDD attached at that time crappy installer of Microsoft might have installed OS boot data into HDD.

Associate
OP
Depends on what you had as boot drive.
If SSD is boot drive then what ever is done for rest doesn't matter.

Though if you're one of those masochists still running OS from HDD, then you likely need to change boot drive setting in BIOS to new SSD.
Also if OS was installed to SSD, but with HDD attached at that time crappy installer of Microsoft might have installed OS boot data into HDD.

My current boot is my small SSD so i plan on wiping that 250gb drive and setting my 1tb as my boot drive and using my little one as an extra drive.

Back
Top Bottom