Requirements for trading software

Associate
Hi everyone

I want to move on with things in my career and I've had a lot of recruitment agencies come to me about financial services wanting a C# developer for trading systems.

Before jumping into things I like to have a prototype or something to show an interviewer.

So can anyone provide me info on what is required inside a trading application.

I'll most likely be developing it in C# since that's what the job spec is catered for.

Thanks

Don't bother. It's likely they will ask you to complete a technical task on some of their own code anyway. Besides, "trading" and "financial services" is such a huge sector that you'd might as well just make anything and not limit yourself to a "trading" app.

Just have a think about your experience, what are the bits that you'd like them to focus on, and come up with some spiel that will do just that. Likewise with your CV. It's pretty much guaranteed that you'll need to complete a telephone interview before you set foot anywhere near their office(s) :)

As DJ says, 'trading' covers a very broad spectrum. Most likely they want to see if you have experience of the required sector and understand the terminology, eg. shorting, gapping etc. There will almost definitely be a coding test you'll need to complete before/during interview stage for them to assess your competency, so I wouldn't worry about showing them anything other than work you've already done, even if it's not in a directly related field.

Last edited:
Being perfectly honest, if someone came to me with a home rolled 'trading application' having never worked on one before I'd probably laugh them out of the door.

As has been said before, It's highly unlikely that an interviewer would ask for such a thing, or even be interested in seeing it.

If you have no financial experience, don't try rolling your own app. You'll be looking for a job that specifically says "no financial experience required". When I'm hiring for this sort of role, I'm not really interested in that side of things, as what everyone does is so unique that beyond the basic financial concepts any other knowledge, in systems terms, is pretty much non-transferable.

Back
Top Bottom