Resident Evil 3 (r3make)

Man of Honour
I feel your pain. That corridor is completely unnecessary and just serves to annoy.

Have you played Amnesia? Or Dead Space?
Yeah I played Dead Space some time ago - enjoyed it, had a lot of really cool moments, using the “freeze and cutter” was soooo overpowered and satisfying :D The most memorable thing about the game was the world’s best jump scare in the ending cut scene, omg brutal haha :eek:

Actually I just now blasted my way through.... Resident Evil 2, the original!! I mean, I’ve come this far, why not go the whole way, right? Leon A mode, I’ll say that for completeness.

What to say. Umm, well immediate thoughts are that it’s mind meltingly short. It’s soooo short and easy. Whizzed through in under 3 hours without really remembering anything other than a couple of notable jump scares, that mirror room one. I must have had ~40 shotgun shells and ~20 magnum bullets at the end and about a zillion herbs, to the point where I’m pretty surprised that I ever found the game hard or stressful to play? I was not on the Mr. X featuring, terror inducing B-mode though, I suppose.

The police station feels nowhere near as big as it is in the remake and there is a fair amount of circling around the left-most part of the station at the beginning. But it was fun whilst it lasted. Sewers I can leave. Afterwards it gets a little silly with the underground cable car and lab built ~5 miles underground. The lab section is fun, lots of exploring.

The biggest surprise was seeing some areas that were in Resident Evil Zero. I ever realised that Zero did that. Sort of unnecessary fan service as those areas were meh but hohum.

Overall I don’t think there is much reason to revisit this one other than the nostalgia of childhood fear. REmake is much, much, much better in every way. Short but fun, I guess.

It would be cool to see RE2 remake in the style of REmake but I guess we won’t see that for a very, very long time. Perhaps a return to that style of gameplay for RE9.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It would be cool to see RE2 remake in the style of REmake but I guess we won’t see that for a very, very long time. Perhaps a return to that style of gameplay for RE9.
Yeah, I recon 20 years later maybe. Lol. They may do a fully ray traced version. I mean I can see a time where people start asking for fully ray traced remakes. That is when we will get another round of them.

I would love if they looked at what made the original Remake so good and special and started making games like that.

Man of Honour
I decided to play through the three other scenarios of RE2. I was quite familiar with it by the end and just busted out the following, was quite pleased!

hXcB5Fy.jpg

It is a fun game to whizz through. Claire A is probably the best scenario and makes the best use of the ancillary characters. Leon A is a little jarring in that you only see Sherry for the first time on the train at the end! Leon B is also a little strange in that some rooms are made redundant / healing items only.

The B games start a little tougher with lots of lickers and Mr. X but if you know what you’re doing it’s not so bad. The game overall is extraordinarily easy on ‘normal difficulty’. It’s a bit weird but I don’t like saying “hurrr give me the harder challenge” - I like the normal setting to pose a challenge, you know? Not really a complaint just a silly quirk of mine.

The Police Chief character is a bit disturbing isn’t he? I kind of forgot that but yeah... serial killer and rapist, pretty much as dark as the series has ever been. I did a little google and accordingly to some gaming wiki, ‘rapist’ ended up being a translation thing, as it wasn’t in the Japanese original. There’s just something a little off colour and out of the RE vibe with a rapey villain...

Finally, I enjoyed reliving the most terrifying video game moment ever, IMO, on the B mode:

Where X smashes through the wall the second time. That is the absolute greatest jump scare. Oh my god. I remember when he smashed through the first time I nearly died as a kid... and I was limping back round after killing him and right at the end of the corridor he jumped through again!!!! I can’t remember if I killed him or not but I turned off the Dreamcast, ran downstairs and got my brother to put his hand on my heart, which was going absolutely bezerk and shocked him :eek: :o :D

A good day of gaming :cool:

Soldato
I finally got round to playing this today and as somebody who really liked the original re3, I have to say this was very good in its own right as well. Yes it had some important parts cut out but I tried to play it without even thinking about the original and I actually really enjoyed it. The nemesis was great and genuinely a bit of a pita!

My first run was 4 hours 9 mins but I'm going to try and do a bit of a speed run and unlock some of the goodies from the shop.

Man of Honour
I finally got round to playing this today and as somebody who really liked the original re3, I have to say this was very good in its own right as well. Yes it had some important parts cut out but I tried to play it without even thinking about the original and I actually really enjoyed it. The nemesis was great and genuinely a bit of a pita!

My first run was 4 hours 9 mins but I'm going to try and do a bit of a speed run and unlock some of the goodies from the shop.
Good work, very speedy for a first go!!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I decided to play through the three other scenarios of RE2. I was quite familiar with it by the end and just busted out the following, was quite pleased!

hXcB5Fy.jpg

It is a fun game to whizz through. Claire A is probably the best scenario and makes the best use of the ancillary characters. Leon A is a little jarring in that you only see Sherry for the first time on the train at the end! Leon B is also a little strange in that some rooms are made redundant / healing items only.

The B games start a little tougher with lots of lickers and Mr. X but if you know what you’re doing it’s not so bad. The game overall is extraordinarily easy on ‘normal difficulty’. It’s a bit weird but I don’t like saying “hurrr give me the harder challenge” - I like the normal setting to pose a challenge, you know? Not really a complaint just a silly quirk of mine.

The Police Chief character is a bit disturbing isn’t he? I kind of forgot that but yeah... serial killer and rapist, pretty much as dark as the series has ever been. I did a little google and accordingly to some gaming wiki, ‘rapist’ ended up being a translation thing, as it wasn’t in the Japanese original. There’s just something a little off colour and out of the RE vibe with a rapey villain...

Finally, I enjoyed reliving the most terrifying video game moment ever, IMO, on the B mode:

Where X smashes through the wall the second time. That is the absolute greatest jump scare. Oh my god. I remember when he smashed through the first time I nearly died as a kid... and I was limping back round after killing him and right at the end of the corridor he jumped through again!!!! I can’t remember if I killed him or not but I turned off the Dreamcast, ran downstairs and got my brother to put his hand on my heart, which was going absolutely bezerk and shocked him :eek: :o :D

A good day of gaming :cool:

Yeah, great times as a kid. I think I was 13 when I first played it. I think as you say, it was mainly the jump scares that got me a little. But the only Resi game that ever scared me was the first one when I was 12, seeing the first zombie munching away in the cut scene genuinely scared me. Was the first time I saw such a thing in a game. The only other time was when I played a game called Hell on the 3DO when I was 10. But that game was kind of confusing for me at the time, did not get the gameplay mechanics as I recall.

Well don’t for your S rank by the way :)

That is, my first go was like 7 or so hours as I recall. I took my time and enjoyed exploring and looking around taking in the scenery. Because it never is the same the 2nd time.

Soldato

It did feel a bit linear and there wasn't much exploring to do so I think that helped keep my time down. It probably also helped that I'm a bit of an RE vet. This and MGS are my favourite game series of games.

Well done on the Leon speed run as well. I remember being mega excited on Xmas so I could open my copy of RE: Directors cut so I could play the RE2 demo!

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It did feel a bit linear and there wasn't much exploring to do so I think that helped keep my time down. It probably also helped that I'm a bit of an RE vet. This and MGS are my favourite game series of games.
I am an RE vet too, played them all and the old school ones that I like the most I have played many many times. But I always take my time on the first go. Speed run is for later ;)

I think I completed RE3R like 5-6 already. All achievements unlocked :D

Soldato
I am an RE vet too, played them all and the old school ones that I like the most I have played many many times. But I always take my time on the first go. Speed run is for later ;)

I think I completed RE3R like 5-6 already. All achievements unlocked :D

I definitely didn't rush through the game, I always look around for any ammo or boxes to slash :D I had been putting off playing it for a while as I was really disappointed to read they had cut quite a bit out of the original but I'm really glad I played it. It was brilliant and it was nice to see how they linked it into the re2 remake as well.

I think I'm going to have a run through of code Veronica next as I haven't played it since the dream cast days.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I definitely didn't rush through the game, I always look around for any ammo or boxes to slash :D I had been putting off playing it for a while as I was really disappointed to read they had cut quite a bit out of the original but I'm really glad I played it. It was brilliant and it was nice to see how they linked it into the re2 remake as well.

I think I'm going to have a run through of code Veronica next as I haven't played it since the dream cast days.

Bought Code Veronica for the Dreamcast a couple of hours ago from a Facebook group!
I do need to play RE3 remake :). The hype seems to have died off so the prices will soon follow suit :).
Code Veronica is awesome if you like classic resi style. Don’t listen to Nitefly, he does not know what he is talking about ;):p

I play it on a emulator on PC. Wish they released it and all the classics on PC. I mean most of them were released on PC before anyway. Just need to update the installer. If they can just add anti aliasing option and maybe run all the background images through machine learning to so they can be higher resolution and update the character models. If moders do this I can’t see how a team of a handful of people from CAPCOM could not, or even outsource it.

I would pay full price for the above that was in a package called a Resident Evil Classics that included Resident Evil 1,2,3 and Code Veronica.

Man of Honour
Bought Code Veronica for the Dreamcast a couple of hours ago from a Facebook group!
I do need to play RE3 remake :). The hype seems to have died off so the prices will soon follow suit :).
You can play Code Veronica on PSNow (the subscription service) on a PS4, which would be a lot less faffy than sorting the dreamcast.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread but R3make is good but just too short and extraordinarily linear. In hindsight, it’s only the very first ‘free roaming’ section of the game that’s excellent. I think I took ~6 hours.

It’s strange that I’m quite happy with the ultra short RE2 yet I’d like a fleshed our R3make. I don’t think the progression of the third game has anything as nostalgic as going through the police station etc so it all just feels like a whistle stop tour.

Man of Honour
Once you pop you just can’t stop!

I played through a bit of the RE2 remake at the weekend, getting to the sewers section and getting a little bored when it got to the tedious ‘get the plugs’ bit. It feels so much bigger in scope and duration than R3make - perhaps it’s actually not, but it’s not as linear in terms of exploration and I really like that.

Interestingly game looks much better with HDR mode turned off. Otherwise it’s all foggy looking.

I had purchased the all unlockables cheat when it went on sale and I must admit, when Mr. X showed up, the infinite rocket launcher came straight out. Even with that... it was still a little stressful. With these games, I like the horror ramping up, but then giving you a chance to take stock and catch your breath. It’s just not that fun to be perpetually chased. It’s an interesting design choice I guess but I’d prefer him to go away and come back... being a little less ‘Pac-Man’. I don’t even like playing Pac-Man for the same reason!

I do much, much prefer the dialogue and voice-acting in this one. They all more or less speak like real people, particularly Claire. It’s so much better than the cheese of the other games.

Will probably finish it at the weekend :)

Soldato
Once you pop you just can’t stop!

getting to the sewers section and getting a little bored when it got to the tedious ‘get the plugs’ bit. It feels so much bigger in scope and duration than R3make - perhaps it’s actually not, but it’s not as linear in terms of exploration and I really like that.

I had purchased the all unlockables cheat when it went on sale

I do much, much prefer the dialogue and voice-acting in this one. They all more or less speak like real people, particularly Claire. It’s so much better than the cheese of the other games.

Will probably finish it at the weekend :)

Plugs bit - was a good puzzle first time around, but second etc, yup boring.

Unlockables - yup £1.99, awesome!

Cheese - i LOVE it :)

• Jill, here’s a lockpick. It might come in handy if you, the master of unlocking take it with you

• “Here’s a weapon. It’s really powerful. Especially against living things.”

• and of course “You were almost a Jill sandwich!”

Man of Honour
Plugs bit - was a good puzzle first time around, but second etc, yup boring.

Unlockables - yup £1.99, awesome!

Cheese - i LOVE it :)

• Jill, here’s a lockpick. It might come in handy if you, the master of unlocking take it with you

• “Here’s a weapon. It’s really powerful. Especially against living things.”

• and of course “You were almost a Jill sandwich!”
It’s the dynamic dialogue I find really immersive like when you are aiming for a headshot and the zombie is getting close... prompting Claire to exclaim “****!” in panic. That’s really neat.

I love the camp cheese but I think the straighter, more realistic dialogue makes things.... well, more real :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Is RE3 worth £20? I've offered him £15 for it but he isn't budging...
For me it was, but i compiled it many many times. If you only plan to play it once, then you may be a bit disappointed as if you rush through it will be over in 4 hours.

But you can just sell it for £15 after anyway, so not seeing the downside here.

Back
Top Bottom