Rest Stops on the A303

Associate
Got to do a swapover on the A303 tomorrow at a location yet to be decided but somewhere between Honiton and Yeovil.

Can anyone recommend a decent eating house on or not too far off piste where we can feed and water Mother in law?

Our favoured spot, an American style diner called Route 303, is, alas, no more.

Aside from the BK/McDonald's at Horton Cross/Ilminster there isn't really much that is kind of half-way, there's a few decent-ish places at either end.

Aside from the BK/McDonald's at Horton Cross/Ilminster there isn't really much that is kind of half-way, there's a few decent-ish places at either end.
There was also a nice pub called The Eagle on the single carriageway section over the Blackdown Hills but it is now an Italian. Which is fine but M-i-L is a meat and 2 veg kind of gal.

Yes, will probably plump for something the Honiton end rather than risking the culinary horrors to be found on the tables of Yeovil and its environs.

Yes

I once spent 2 weeks at the Days Inn at Fleet Services at the start of a gig at the AA in Basingstoke.

My diet was courtesy of the Wild Bean Cafe apart from Tuedays when they did a mean lamb shank in the cafeteria.

I think Fleet Services elicits slightly different emotions from me

Last edited:
There was also a nice pub called The Eagle on the single carriageway section over the Blackdown Hills but it is now an Italian. Which is fine but M-i-L is a meat and 2 veg kind of gal.

Yes, will probably plump for something the Honiton end rather than risking the culinary horrors to be found on the tables of Yeovil and its environs.

Yes

There are a few inns, etc. just off the road but I've never had any reason to visit them so no idea what they are like.

KFC at Solstice. Never great but always reliably average.

I dare you to try the one at Wincanton, 4 out of 5 people I know who've used it recently have been ill afterwards :s

EDIT: Looks like the reviews for the one at Solstice aren't any better, seems like KFC has really gone downhill these days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom