Retro console and games thread

**** me, I just checked my scummv and dosbox folder and nearly 200GB of retro goodness has dissapeared! Looks like Chckdsk F /r is in order :(

Stupid external, only happened since plugging into a mac from my pc :p

Got a few new pickups at lunch (pictures to come later on this evening).

Not really retro but has a "retro" use:

- Boxed Wii for use as a Wii (obv :p) and a Gamecube. Will be connected via the component cable so I can have 480p on the games that support it. I got fed up of looking for GC's which have the digital AV out. This will do until I can find a decent one.
- Gamecube controller
- Memory card with 251 blocks
- Sonic Mega collection for the GC - looks to be all of the classics.

I also got 10 boxed and complete GC games completely for free as the shop can't sell them due to the scratches on the discs. They may work or they may not but hey for free I am not worried if only one of them works (hopefully Resident Evil does though). I have checked a few and they don't look to bad but will have to try them out this evening.

Looking forward to getting home now and testing it all out. :D

Well i decided to see what the problem is with my megadrive2 ,i bought it from bootsale a few years ago and it was mint condition boxed with all bags pads manuals ect.I remember it worked but the power adaptor was abit dodgey when you plugged it into the console if you moved it the console lost power and i had to make sure i plugged it in then sort of angled it so it stay powered up.So today i thought id try opening it up and seeing what the problem was.I have watched few youtube videos on power problems with the megadrive and they all seem to be doing the same as mine.So this is a little breakdown on what i found

IMG_20130520_174418_zpsbf79731d.jpg

Took case lid off
IMG_20130520_173255_zps7fdd21f4.jpg

then off came the shielding
IMG_20130520_173406_zpse4c24ff1.jpg

I noticed the date on the board,oct 1995 thinking must have been a late console?
IMG_20130520_173432_zpsa5632064.jpg

I think i spotted the problem with the power socket,if i rock the power socket ,there is abit of solder on the board that you can just see poking out and that moves.I have have also never seen these black wires coming from the power on the board on other youtube videos? no idea what they are

IMG_20130520_173626_zps26edbb66.jpg

IMG_20130520_173719_zps11109479.jpg

IMG_20130520_175830_zps3dbd6386.jpg

I have only soldered a tiny bit when i repaired a ps2 laser so i am not electronics expert but i think i might just top up the solder on these and hopefully that should do the job

Wires are a bodge.

Joints have been damaged due to excessive rocking/plugging in & out and rather than just clean up and resolder the damaged joints, they've run wires from them to points further along the track. One going to the middle, doesn't even look like it is soldered to the pin, but the pad instead and the pin is broken away from that anyway.

Not sure why you would do that if there wasn't any track damage (doesn't seem to be from the pic).

Take wires off, resolder joints & it should be good.

Last edited:
Got a few new pickups at lunch (pictures to come later on this evening).

Not really retro but has a "retro" use:

- Boxed Wii for use as a Wii (obv :p) and a Gamecube. Will be connected via the component cable so I can have 480p on the games that support it. I got fed up of looking for GC's which have the digital AV out. This will do until I can find a decent one.
- Gamecube controller
- Memory card with 251 blocks
- Sonic Mega collection for the GC - looks to be all of the classics.

I also got 10 boxed and complete GC games completely for free as the shop can't sell them due to the scratches on the discs. They may work or they may not but hey for free I am not worried if only one of them works (hopefully Resident Evil does though). I have checked a few and they don't look to bad but will have to try them out this evening.

Looking forward to getting home now and testing it all out. :D

Got yourself some GC goodness there :D. What games were they?

@rich Hi mate sorry I didnt get back to you I got my megadrive and have been nothing but dissapointed! at the quick glance I took of it on arrival I gave the guy 5 stars only to get home from work and find the back cracked and a few deep scratches on the top and some of the white is a mess on the top theres no point in me taking that cable off your hands :(

I get its an old console however I messaged the guy several times about its condition upon each reply getting great condition still on the look out for a decent condition mega drive one preferably with the high definition audio along the top if anyone has one?

on a side note my sonic 1 and 2 arrived fully complete for 6 quid each in immaculate condition!

No worries fella, I'm still holding onto the wire so should you you be interested message me. Hope you get a decent MegaDrive, you'll be glad when you do :cool:

As for my new stuff, I received my Japanese white Saturn 3D control pad. Gorgeous. I'd love to get my hands on a white Japanese Saturn. Got my modchip through and action replay cart. Some fantastic games are available on the Saturn!

Literally have bo clue...new hinge is perfect but top screen gone mental and touch wont work.

The insides of the ds are the work of the devil im telling you!!!

Make sure you haven't torn any of the ribbon cables and make sure all of them are in properly and that you haven't missed one :p.

Got yourself some GC goodness there :D. What games were they?

I got the following for free:

WP_20130520_001_zps6fef0ff9.jpg

I am rather chuffed as they all work bar Rebel Strike which is giving me disc read errors.

Not to worry as I am going to re-use the case for Mario Kart Double dash and just re-print the case label.

Bar the Wii (which looks like a Wii) I also got these:

WP_20130520_004_zpsc814c84d.jpg

On a similar note here is a quick pic of my current Retro setup (excuse the shocking picture quality):

WP_20130520_008_zps9999b789.jpg

Very much a work in progress. I currently sit on the floor (hence the cushions) which isn't ideal. The end result will look quite different with a long low cabinet and a Sofa bed on the opposite wall*. I also plan to have a couple large bookcases to the right which will house both the games and my wife's (and mine if I am honest) book collection. I am not sure about timeline but the Sofa bed is coming next.

*The room this is in is our second bedroom, hence the Sofa Bed. My Eyefinity gaming setup has already taken up the third bedroom so.... I have a very good wife! :D:cool:

Very much a work in progress. I currently sit on the floor (hence the cushions) which isn't ideal. The end result will look quite different with a long low cabinet and a Sofa bed on the opposite wall*. I also plan to have a couple large bookcases to the right which will house both the games and my wife's (and mine if I am honest) book collection. I am not sure about timeline but the Sofa bed is coming next.

I am in same boat atm, anything i want to run is either crammed on pc desk or under TV, but hopefully at some point i will be able to build some kind of storage / display unit to all go on :)

just got text from mate, Master System was successfully collected last night :) so should have that coming today and also this to go with it, think it was £4 something delivered

Screenshot_2013-05-19-22-32-10-1_zpsadf4fc59.png

going to go to work early and try do a voodoo resurrection on the DS too lol

Dug out my mega drive 2 and had a little go on terminator, flashback and road rash. Wow that brought back memories!

Also had a little go on this. Exhumed is such an awesome game. Amazing sound and music, I wish they would remake it.
DSC01362.jpg

I'm still sad to this day that I never bought panzer dragoon :( I rented that game and loved it. The price is silly now.

Got another megadrive today much much happier with this one the 16bit is still gold on the front and the condition is almost new there's little blemishes on the finish I swopped the boards around with the older one as ive read the audio quality is a little better and I was bored :) the D pad was loose on my controller taking it apart the controller revealed its indented on the bit that the stick thing rests against no idea what im going to do about that put a bit of tape on it but its a little stiff now.

Think its time to start building up games I never had many though as not long after getting a megadrive 2 I had a PSone :( the others apart from the sonic 1 and 2 I remember are revenge of shinobi and streets of rage's and of course mortal kombat!

I do have a master system too that I thought was broken and gave a try with the megadrive power and worked spot on though I might actually get a master system converter for the megadrive as I have Desert storm and so on still for that :D

Back
Top Bottom