Returning PCMR - ITX build, ATX PSU re-use?

Associate
So, returning after a long break. Hope everyone is well.

Turned on my main machine for the first time in about two and a half years this week, it's still that from my signature.

All bar the RX 580 is 8 years old give or take. But hasn't been run hard for the last three years.

I've got a new desk setup and I've mainly been using my work laptop since the pandemic hit. I've also got a gaming laptop (Nitro 5 with a 3060) but don't use it enough, and it doesn't bring me joy like a full build.

So I'm thinking of breaking down the main machine, selling the laptop and putting together a mini-ITX build that's capable of fitting in my desk alcove - 29cm deep by 26cm wide by 36cm tall - max. (Case recommendations with workable footprint very welcome! Main sticking point seems to be depth/length of cases)

My main question, having been out of the loop for a while, would the PSU in my current setup (Antec Truepower 650w ) be OK to reuse in any new build? What are the downsides?

I may also re-use the RX580 as I'm only going to be gaming initially on a 1920 x 1200 display at 60hz - at least for a time until any future upgrade. Or is this silly?

Rest of the ITX build I'm considering I'd want to be fairly high end, so 12th gen intel + DDR5 mobo for future proofing.

Associate
So, returning after a long break. Hope everyone is well.

Turned on my main machine for the first time in about two and a half years this week, it's still that from my signature.

All bar the RX 580 is 8 years old give or take. But hasn't been run hard for the last three years.

I've got a new desk setup and I've mainly been using my work laptop since the pandemic hit. I've also got a gaming laptop (Nitro 5 with a 3060) but don't use it enough, and it doesn't bring me joy like a full build.

So I'm thinking of breaking down the main machine, selling the laptop and putting together a mini-ITX build that's capable of fitting in my desk alcove - 29cm deep by 26cm wide by 36cm tall - max. (Case recommendations with workable footprint very welcome! Main sticking point seems to be depth/length of cases)

My main question, having been out of the loop for a while, would the PSU in my current setup (Antec Truepower 650w ) be OK to reuse in any new build? What are the downsides?

I may also re-use the RX580 as I'm only going to be gaming initially on a 1920 x 1200 display at 60hz - at least for a time until any future upgrade. Or is this silly?

Rest of the ITX build I'm considering I'd want to be fairly high end, so 12th gen intel + DDR5 mobo for future proofing.
your psu is branze rated with 5yrs warranty so getting on a bit. If you're not having a problem with it, you could use it, but I'd be tempted to go for a gold rated 10yrs+ warranty
Bit late as drop already happenned today so missed out on 3060ti/3070fe cards at msrp (£369/£469) but may be another later fingers crossed, but may be worth subs to FEPartAlert on telegram if you do want to get a new gpu
DDR5 just isn't worth it for gaming...

Do you have a budget in mind for your build? mini itx builds gen cost a bit more as the mobo's are more expensive. With price reduction of AMD cpu's, think they are competitive again so worth looking at both

Associate
hard to find a minit itx case that will fit those dimensions...most are longer than 29 cm, so you need a vertical standing case, but then something like the meshlicious is 36cm tall, so no room for airflow around case and for buttons on top as you'll have to jam it into the alcove

Associate
OP
@Craig_d1 super helpful, thank you. I think you're right on the PSU. I don't love the look of vertical cases and I know the airflow isn't likely to be as good and the thermals. What I have been considering today is getting something like an NRP200 Max with AIO and power supply included, and taking off the feet so that it can sit directly on the shelf, then drilling some 1/2" holes in the alcove shelf to create airflow below and negate the need for clearance, n.b. the space is open ended. That way it could rest in the space, hopefully be unlikely to topple over (could use some 3M to secure it if absolutely necessary).

I guess I don't want to completely compromise the build to fit the desk as it's a cheapo thing at the end of the day. I just like the idea of a smaller form factor and fitting it in if possible, more portability to at a push. Some compromise is acceptable.

I'll watch those comparisons on the GFX and RAM with interest, thank you!

Budget c.£800-1,000 so very difficult with the GFX too, but happy to wait for that as I said.

Associate
Q58 was the case I went to first as really like the look, esp after watching some reviews etc on the thread here. Was too long for the alcove, and then Tazzfcon said he was looking at the NRP200 Max. 18ltrs space compared to 14 in the Q58, but £330 for case, preinstalled 280mm aio with custom length tubing, 850w gold rated psu, mesh or glass side panel and pciegen4 riser, dont think you can knock it, and couldn't put anything together close to that price. Can only order it from one place....@Tazzfalcon did you order it?
@JollyJamma, you sticking AMD, or going Intel? Black or white case?

Associate
OP
Q58 was the case I went to first as really like the look, esp after watching some reviews etc on the thread here. Was too long for the alcove, and then Tazzfcon said he was looking at the NRP200 Max. 18ltrs space compared to 14 in the Q58, but £330 for case, preinstalled 280mm aio with custom length tubing, 850w gold rated psu, mesh or glass side panel and pciegen4 riser, dont think you can knock it, and couldn't put anything together close to that price. Can only order it from one place....@Tazzfalcon did you order it?
@JollyJamma, you sticking AMD, or going Intel? Black or white case?

I haven't ordered the case as yet but I'm still leaning in that direction. I think I could probably get the same parts, but crossing finger's on compatibility, for less money. Likely going to order soon. Just trying to offload the laptop first. Though I have ordered a motherboard now, a ROG Strix B660-I gaming wi-fi DDR5 board for £186 which was too good a price to pass over, though it's not going to arrive for a couple weeks, which is fine.

Associate
OP
So just an update on this. I went for a regular NR200p in black in the end alongside a Corsair SDX 750w, 12600k, ROG Strix b660-I gaming WiFi, an ID Cooling SE-226-XT air cooler, coolermaster halo fans, Adata XPG RGB DDR5 32gb and I’m still rocking the RX580 for now. Working on getting it stable with windows 11 pro! There’s definitely some
Teething issues with stability I think in the RAM particularly with XMP enabled.

Back
Top Bottom