Revenue @ Customs

Associate
The other day I got a letter saying

You have bin sent a parcel from overseas, delivery of this parcel to you is subject to payment of Customs charges raised by UK Border Agency on behalf of HM Revenue @ Customs

I've misplaced the letter so now don't know how to pay it or who to phone. Dose anyone know if I can still pay it with no letter and who do I phone about it?

Thanks

Associate
OP
I contacted the company that sent the messages because I was not going to pay it as the item I am getting should be free.

So this is reply I got.

I had our cust service look into it. They made a call to USPS and there’s nothing we can do to prevent this customs charge you will need to pay this and then we can either cut you a check for that amt and mail it to you or put credit on your acct at Horizon US. Its $26.30 USD.
According to our cust service team the USPS still has the ESC and motor on hold its not been returned to Horizon US yet.
Let me know what you would like to do.

Associate
OP
Given that he says he doesn't have the letter to hand, it's more likely that the OP is quoting from memory and just can't spell.
No because when I got the letter I typed what it said and sent it to the companey in email.

I'm going to drop them a email saying I've got told not to pay it because people say it's a scam. I'll see what they say about it.

Associate
OP
Post 18. The one where you quote the response you received back from the vendor, Horizon Hobby. The one where they say that the package is being held by the postal service and is awaiting payment of charges, (whether they are valid or not in you opinion).

They also say the package has not been returned to them which is what will happen if there is a charge and you don't pay. It is perfectly possible that if the item ordered + shipping comes to >£18 then you will have to pay (unless what you have ordered is zero rated for duty and vat)

Whether or not the original letter mentioned was a scam doesn't actually matter as the way to deal with it in your current situation doesn't involve sending money to Nigeria or whatever.

I've have indicated twice in this thread that (assuming of course you are in the UK as you are not displaying a location) that there is a good chance that something sent from the US via USPS will likely be delivered in the UK by either Royal Mail or Parcel Force. Contact their local depot (PF) and delivery office (RM) covering your postcode. Royal Mail have a number on their site you can call to find out where that is. Parcel Force allow you to search via postcode on their site.

Then phone them up and ask if there is a package for your name and address awaiting payment of customs charges to be delivered. If there is then they will be able to tell you how to pay. You are paying Royal Mail or Parcel Force directly not some dodgy scammer via Western Union.

Worse case is that the original letter was a scam and they don't have your package there with a charge ... you don't pay ... you continue to wait for your package. Best case they do have the package there waiting to be delivered on payment of the charge ... you pay ... get your package.

Alternatively ignore it all ... if there is an unpaid charge then eventually your package should be returned to the Vendor who should ask you what you want done.

I'll take a look on there sites and see.
From what I can gather from this post, Horizon Hobby are sending you an ESC, which you say is free, so it's probably a replacement for one that went faulty.

Is that correct?

One question. Why is it coming from Horizon Hobby USA, when they have a service depot here in the UK?

Some additional info. If you have a tracking number, try it on Royal Mail's website. You can pay any charges and arrange delivery from there if the tracking is valid.
Yes that is correct. I emailed the UK one about 2 times via email and I never got any reply so ended up having to contact the USA one.

I don't have a tracking number so can't do that. I've contacted Horizon Hobby today so I'll see what they say then I'll go from there I think. I don't get why if Horizon Hobby are sending me money after I've paid, they can't just pay it from there end. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom