**Review your TFT! - OcUK User Reviews and Comparisons**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
As some people may know by now, Baddass has very kindly made a TFT test for these which is available for download HERE

At the bottom of the test Baddass has stated that he would convert the document to code that can be used in the forums, so i thought it would be nice for those that have participated to post their results if they so wish for us forum goers to compare TFT with.

As most people know, there is nothing like getting advice off a person that already has the screen, so i thought this thread may come in hand to at least a few people.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks to Baddass for the conversion.

LG1720B – By Stellios

lg1720b.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------
User Pictures Of Monitor:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Colour Reproduction:

The following tests have been conducted after the monitor has been calibrated to the reviewer’s satisfaction.

Image 1: Colour Palette Picture – All pretty much balanced, with a clear sharp picture. In this test the yellow colours seem quite bright compared to the rest of the colours, although yellow is naturally a bright colour.

Image 2: Colour Sands – They all look pretty much balanced. Nothing seems to stand out from the crowd in the way of being over bright, although the greens look fairly similar, but there is a difference. The green on the top right is brighter than the one below, but there is not a huge difference

Image 3: Doom 3 Screen Shot – Very clear picture. There isn’t really any too dark areas although a lot of the room is very dark, but nothing that cant be changed by altering my brightness (I like my screen pretty dark as its easier on eyes).

Gaming:

Pixel Response Program: Results = 23ms (manufacturer's spec 16ms)

Gaming Observations: - Obviously slight ghosting is noticeable, although its nothing that worries me. Within a fast paced game like UT2k4 I hardly notice any ghosting, although some is there. This ghosting doesn’t really effect me at all as its not a lot and something I’ve grown used to and don’t notice now. When I first got the screen this ghosting was noticeable, but barely and took me about 5 minutes to get used to. The screen’s actually better at displaying a picture than my old CRT was. It has brighter colours and images are so much sharper.

Unreal Tournament Test Video (17MB) - Ghosting is there, although it is minimal and nothing that would be enough to make me dislike the screen. The colours are well balanced and are pretty vivid. The black is black, although ghosting is visible the most with white of a black background.

Q.Would you consider yourself an avid gamer and would you recommend this monitor to a gamer? - Yes I play a lot of games; I think my xfire profile say it all to be honest (profile.xfire.com/Stellios). Usually clock up at least 20 hours of gaming a week, so id consider myself pretty heavy.

Panel Uniformity:

Black Screen - No noticeable backlight leakage and the black is almost completely black. It actually makes it look as if the screen is turned off it’s that dark.

White Screen - The white stays the same consistently across the screen and is of a nice brightness, its not too bright although not too dark.

Image Clarity:

Personally I find the screen looks sharper at 75Hz rather than 60Hz, which is unusual as all the other screens I’ve used look better at 60Hz. Cleartype makes a massive difference to the clarity of text, and makes it a lot easier to read.

Q. Does DVI make any difference to the image? - N/A, don’t have DVI

Viewing Angles:

Vertical: - The colour changes when I am at about 45 degrees of the screen, although at no point up to 180 degrees does it become unreadable.

Horizontal: - Once again, the screen changes at about 45 degrees, although is useable all the way to 180 degrees. The screen would be OK for watching a movie with a crowd, although a CRT would probably do the job better.

Movie Playback:

Matrix Reloaded Trailer (58MB, 640 x 346 resolution) - There is noticeable ghosting on the screen with this movie, although nothing that makes it unwatchable. It has actually surprised me how little ghosting there is considering the fast paced nature of the movie. The colour reproduction was great and very accurate with the greens showing up perfectly on the blacks etc. Overall the movie looked very good and very watchable.

General Movie Playback: - Although my screen is not used for a lot of movies, those I have watched using it have been fine, although ghosting is present on a larger scale than when gaming. My dad noticed this when I was watching ‘Band of Brothers’ although its something I don’t notice any more as its quite minimal and ghosts a lot less than my dads laptop screen does (my dads pretty picky).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom