RGB fan compatibility - 6 pin fans?

Associate
Just bought a case that included 3 RGB fans and a fan controller with a button on the front of the case, it has space for more fans on it but the connectors are these small 6 pin ones - most of the RGB fans I can find are 3 or 4 pin, anyone know where I can find fans with the right 6 pin connector on or some kind of adapter?

Associate
OP
Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
At a guess it's Red/Green/Blue for the LEDs, tach and earth for the fan, and shared 12 volt for both.

Do the fans plug into a controller built into the case - does it have any non-6 pin sockets? You may be stuck with the specific brand for this controller unless you want to do some crimping for new connections after you check the pinout.

Soldato
Kolink & Lian Li appear to be using that non-standard!

So Lian Li fans should be compatible but I've not tested that as I only have a Kolink case. Maybe OCUK can confirm that.

Having a quick look it appears it may have come from a similar source to the Lian Li & Kolink cases so that would make sense.

Associate
OP
At a guess it's Red/Green/Blue for the LEDs, tach and earth for the fan, and shared 12 volt for both.

Do the fans plug into a controller built into the case - does it have any non-6 pin sockets? You may be stuck with the specific brand for this controller unless you want to do some crimping for new connections after you check the pinout.

Yes I would assume you were right but who knows whether they even have a tach, they only have 2 speed settings which you can only change from the controller

Only other connectors it has are 2 4-pin ones for LED strip lights (same looking connector just with 4 pins). I’d be fine with the same brand if I could just figure out which ones would work - I’ve emailed Game Max with no response as yet.

Kolink & Lian Li appear to be using that non-standard!

So Lian Li fans should be compatible but I've not tested that as I only have a Kolink case. Maybe OCUK can confirm that.

Having a quick look it appears it may have come from a similar source to the Lian Li & Kolink cases so that would make sense.

Cool thanks for that info - I’ve had a quick google and can’t find anything out about the compatibility for those two brands either but it certainly helps

Just to make it even more fun apparently there are 2 different types of 6 pin connectors that aren’t compatible with each other!

Quite close to either giving up on adding more or ripping out the fans and adding one of the standardised types because this RGB compatibility thing is a bit of a joke!

Soldato
I had a longer look and the hub isn't the same and the Lian Li + Kolink are using more opaque ring style fans so some confirmation would need to be made for compatibility. Ultimately for future proofing the 4 pin RGB standard on motherboards would probably be better but then these are budget cases. Not bad looking when actually built despite the limitations.

Associate
I'm surprised budget cases wouldn't use standards just to avoid reinventing the wheel.

Then again - the pinouts should be discoverable, so can be interfaced with.

Associate
OP
Yeah I’m sure a quick look would reveal the layout of the Pins. Presumably the same as the RGB strip but with 2 extra pins for the fan power. I agree, if the 4 pin RGB fan arrangement is too expensive to implement or whatever then there really should be another standard out there.

Nevertheless I messaged Game Max UK about it and they do supply the fans so I bought 3 at a cost of £19 shipped. Undecided whether to add any LED strips or not but I think I might be getting carried away now lol

Back
Top Bottom