Rice Cookers

Associate
Has anyone got a rice cooker? Sometimes use the boil in the bag stuff, but steamed rice is so much nicer.

Trying to decide between buying a proper rice-cooker , or using something like bamboo baskets.

What do people recommend? Haven't really rated rice cooked by the absorption method...

Associate
OP
This discussion has cropped up many times over the years, rice cookers are a good addition to anyone who eats rice often , a decent one will cook rice perfectly every time and keep it warm for many hours without any loss of quality , many also have other functions too and settings for different types of rice

there’s a reason so many Asians own and use a a rice cooker daily instead of cooking it manually in a pan
I normally avoid buying kitchen gadgets as most of the time they just do something you can already achieve with the standard kitchen stuff.

However, I wouldn't want to be without my rice cooker. Once you get the water/rice balance sorted out it consistently produces perfect fluffy rice every time with zero hassle and better results than boiling it. I think they all achieve much the same results so just but whatever is popular and well reviewed.

Thanks , Are there any well recommended ones? Should probably get myself a membership on Which? really... Going to assume Ceramic tray/dish is better than aluminium due to health concerns? Although haven't really read into that too much

Associate
OP
Take a look here https://www.yumasia.co.uk/rice-cookers/

I’m tempted to buy the bamboo or the Sakura because of the 8 cup capacity so it’s handy for when having a few people round , I also tend to make enough rice for plain rice one day and fried the next

I have owned one of the cheap brands before and although the rice was ok it was never consistent and often overcooked the rice but it was great for making vegetable pulao with a slight crust which made it taste so good

Thanks that's quite a selection , most of the cheaper ones are out of stock but I'm in no rush. Would rather wait and buy a decent one.

Associate
OP
Feel like i've learnt a fair bit about rice cookers already... Had seen that the Panda Mini gets good reviews , thanks guys, a bit more research i think and will see if there's anything going in the post-xmas sales.

Back
Top Bottom