Ricky Gervais as 'Derek'

Soldato
Really like this apart from one thing. Ricky Gervais!. I find his performance OTT with all the random gurning etc. Its a shame the rest of it seems really well put together. Every scene he is in just detracts from what would have been a nicely considered piece of work.

Last edited:
Soldato
^The thing is with Gervais's work, you need to see a whole series before judging them imo.

Branding it as similar to The Royle Family is pure recklessness.

I can see where he is coming from though in the style of the show, as they are quite similar in that respect.

Both are comedies, and often silly, yet they will bring you into drama that is often quite jarring and difficult.

The Royale Family has also won a number of BAFTAs, so its hardly a derogative to make such a comparison.

Soldato
I've really enjoyed this so far. Felt quite sad at the end of episode 3 as my Gran is not well at the moment, but the show also has enough subtle comedy moments to balance it out.

It's strange as I wasn't a big fan of the Office at all and this is a very similar format. I think I just like the characters in this a lot more. Derek is very likeable, as is the character Karl plays.

Also is it just me who thinks Hannah is hot? My brother thinks I am a weirdo :o

Associate
I think it's class, the script, the feel of the show, all spot on.
Only thing letting it down is Ricky gervais. His acting for this character is hopeless, he'd have been better off using a real actor.
Hannah's the manager right? Yeah she's hot lol

Soldato
I think it's class, the script, the feel of the show, all spot on.
Only thing letting it down is Ricky gervais. His acting for this character is hopeless, he'd have been better off using a real actor.
Hannah's the manager right? Yeah she's hot lol

Yea Hannah is really fit. She's got that cuddly blonde thing Dawn from the office had going for her. <3

I was really really sceptical about this series from the adverts but I'm absolutely loving it now. I think he's walking a fine line with Derek's character but so far has been on the right side of it imo.

Caporegime
I've enjoyed it, the only thing I don't like about it is Gervais really.

1. He's one of those people that I just instantly dislike for some reason.

2. It's too obvious it's 'him' rather than a character in a show, I would have preferred a lesser known actor.

Soldato
overall this is pretty poor to watch
i just don't like the Derek character, it's just ricky gervais hunched over
someone else playing derek would have been better

i get it with the morals he's trying to get across etc but it's all a bit forced
you can see most jokes coming a mile off

my least favourite thing he's done. i can still watch the office to this day and laugh, and the podcasts brought tears to my eyes
hope he does another standup soon

Back
Top Bottom